Help I think Ive been HAD!

Pics

chkncrazy

Songster
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Connecticut
I know this happens to the best of us even myself after keeping chickens for 30 some odd years it's happened to me here and there and I'm embarrassed to say it's happened to me today.🤧. I think I bought 2 spent hens!!!!! I don't know how I feel about this or what to do hopefully you guys can help me NOT feel like an idiot , here is the backstory. The week covid broke out mid-march there was an ad on Craigslist someone selling Easter Eggers $20 each they said they were about a year-and-a-half to two years old and still laying well. 😒🤞I messaged the person and they said they didn't want to do anything yet because of this covid-19 and they didn't want people around which is understandable. Fast forward 3 months I got a random text from the person saying they're selling their chickens again and if I'd still be interested in getting the couple of Easter Eggers, and I said oh my goodness I can't believe he remembered and sure why not.. they said okay $60 for the pair !!!!!!! and I sent back a screenshot of the original Craigslist post that I thankfully took and not deleted at the time advertising them for $20 each hahaha so thankfully the person honored it.... I got to the house today and the guy is outside throwing scratch grains on the ground so the chickens he had would come running up and I would be able to pick the ones I wanted, I should have known right there and then and walked away!!!!!!!😫😫😱🤬 6 out of 8 of his chickens looked like they were 100 years old going through molt no back feathers no tail feathers I even asked if he had a rooster he said no... I mean they looked terrible, pitiful there werent even pin feathers growing!!!!there were some barred rocks mixed in and their Combs were complete pale pink and the Easter Egger Combs I couldn't really see but they all looked horrible!!!! and I looked at him and asked if they were still laying and he said yeah I started panicking and out of the corner of my eye I saw an Easter Egger and a Rhode Island red fully feathered with bright red Combs on the kther side if the property...and I askes if they were for sale also (which seems.like a dumb question, but the diff. Was so drastic) and he said yes and I said I'll take them real fast because they looked night and day from the ones. I threw them in the box got in the car and was trying to shake off the horrible experience, I got home as I'm putting them in quarantine I'm checking over for lice just in case that's why all the other ones lost their feathers. I was checking the vents which looked fine but when I measure their hip bones I could barely fit three fingers... and the Keel was about three fingers both were the same and what struck me was they were eating like there was no tomorrow, he told me he only feeds them cracked corn and scratch grains he doesn't have them on layer feed and was getting rid of them because he was moving. I'm praying I'm praying that they improve with real quality food and possibly give me a couple eggs a week..... so that's the whole sordid story!

Thank you to anyone who is reading this or could give me any advice or comforting words LOL oh, and I hope everyone is doing very well through this whole ordeal and everyone's animals are doing very well.
Aldo

I know this happens to the best of us even myself after keeping chickens for 30 some odd years it's happened to me here and there and I'm embarrassed to say it's happened to me today.🤧. I think I bought 2 spent hens!!!!! I don't know how I feel about this or what to do hopefully you guys can help me NOT feel like an idiot , here is the backstory. The week covid broke out mid-march there was an ad on Craigslist someone selling Easter Eggers $20 each they said they were about a year-and-a-half to two years old and still laying well. 😒🤞I messaged the person and they said they didn't want to do anything yet because of this covid-19 and they didn't want people around which is understandable. Fast forward 3 months I got a random text from the person saying they're selling their chickens again and if I'd still be interested in getting the couple of Easter Eggers, and I said oh my goodness I can't believe he remembered and sure why not.. they said okay $60 for the pair !!!!!!! and I sent back a screenshot of the original Craigslist post that I thankfully took and not deleted at the time advertising them for $20 each hahaha so thankfully the person honored it.... I got to the house today and the guy is outside throwing scratch grains on the ground so the chickens he had would come running up and I would be able to pick the ones I wanted, I should have known right there and then and walked away!!!!!!!😫😫😱🤬 6 out of 8 of his chickens looked like they were 100 years old going through molt no back feathers no tail feathers I even asked if he had a rooster he said no... I mean they looked terrible, pitiful there werent even pin feathers growing!!!!there were some barred rocks mixed in and their Combs were complete pale pink and the Easter Egger Combs I couldn't really see but they all looked horrible!!!! and I looked at him and asked if they were still laying and he said yeah I started panicking and out of the corner of my eye I saw an Easter Egger and a Rhode Island red fully feathered with bright red Combs on the kther side if the property...and I askes if they were for sale also (which seems.like a dumb question, but the diff. Was so drastic) and he said yes and I said I'll take them real fast because they looked night and day from the ones. I threw them in the box got in the car and was trying to shake off the horrible experience, I got home as I'm putting them in quarantine I'm checking over for lice just in case that's why all the other ones lost their feathers. I was checking the vents which looked fine but when I measure their hip bones I could barely fit three fingers... and the Keel was about three fingers both were the same and what struck me was they were eating like there was no tomorrow, he told me he only feeds them cracked corn and scratch grains he doesn't have them on layer feed and was getting rid of them because he was moving. I'm praying I'm praying that they improve with real quality food and possibly give me a couple eggs a week..... so that's the whole sordid story!

Thank you to anyone who is reading this or could give me any advice or comforting words LOL oh, and I hope everyone is doing very well through this whole ordeal and everyone's animals are doing very well.
Aldo
Sounds like this guy is abusing his chickens and not caring for them properly! If he has a whole flock looking like that I doubt it's just because they're old. Give the hens a few days, with proper nutrition they may bounce back and start laying eggs. Also, maybe you should call animal control on him or something...gosh, what a horrible experiance you went through. I'll pray for those poor chickens that are still in his care! You should've known from the get-go when he raised the price on you that he was a sleezy character. Oh well, like I said, give the hens some time and plenty of protein. If they are to old to lay you could always try to demand your money back, but he probably won't give it, who knows, he may have disapeared by now! But you can always keep them as pets, I suppose, (which is what I would do), or give them to someone else, or kill them and eat them and get your money's worth that way. It's alright, stuff happens. You'll get through it somehow.

Is it possible they haven't started laying?
hey there thanks for your response, I've examined them over and they are well until laying age. judging by the color of their legs and judging by the cloaca and just the overall appearance of a way the bird carries itself talks and my Rhode Island red actually has quarter inch Spurs LOL I've had a few Rhode Island Reds that had this trait!! Also the guy stated that they were a year-and-a-half-old if anything they lowball their ages! Thanks again!

Can you post some pictures of your new birds? And I would definitely quarantine them well away from any chickens you already have until you know they aren't carrying anything that could spread to your flock. It's possible the guy's chickens looked rough from poor food and overcrowded conditions. :hugs
Thanks for responding, I will get pictures the next chance when I go see them and bring my phone along. I just can't believe how hungry they are, usually when I bring new guys home they're reluctant to eat but these ones are acting like they're starving. When I went to go pick them up like I said the guy was feeding them scratch grains and they were hauling ass to eat so maybe he doesn't feed them well. Someone also brought up feather pulling due to lack of nutrition which I've seen happen in parrots.

Wow! I hope your hens are okay! I can't believe that! Is it possible they were pulling feathers from lack of nutrients? I thought actual feed was an absolute necessity not just scratch grain??
Hi thanks for your reply, yes definitely any type of feed such a starter grower or layer feed needs to be given it is a necessity, since we control their environment if not like they can go out and get all the protein and vitamins that they need. You brought up a very important thing about feather polling due to lack of nutrients I've heard of that happening in parrots also one time my friend ran out of layer feed and still had a half a bag of scratch feed so his chickens were on scratch feed for about a month and they started dropping their feathers almost like a force molt so who knows what's going on over there it could be several different things, I'm just worried I got duped out of $40

Hi thanks for your reply, yes definitely any type of feed such a starter grower or layer feed needs to be given it is a necessity, since we control their environment if not like they can go out and get all the protein and vitamins that they need. You brought up a very important thing about feather polling due to lack of nutrients I've heard of that happening in parrots also one time my friend ran out of layer feed and still had a half a bag of scratch feed so his chickens were on scratch feed for about a month and they started dropping their feathers almost like a force molt so who knows what's going on over there it could be several different things, I'm just worried I got duped out of $40
Yea. I would be worried too. And pretty p.o.ed

I had run out of chick feed for my chicks when they were a couple weeks old (for 1 day) and I had 2 that started pecking and pulling feathers off the others. They were vicious! And I was feeding them just things I had at home so they weren't starving. But they just weren't getting what they needed and I was told by a few byc-ers that it was bc of being out of feed.

Back
Top Bottom