Help!! I think my chick is sick! What should I do!!

ginabeep

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 2, 2010
I got 3 baby chicks on Tuesday(they were born on Sunday). One of them stop eating yesterday. She seems really week. Here are her symptoms: 1. breathing heavily; 2. A huge chuck of dried poop at her butt area; 3. I can feel a large crop in front of her neck, larger than the other two chicks; 4. can't walk well.

Here is what I did: 1. I used salted water to wipe her beak, 2. I used rubbing alcohol cleaned her butt. 3, I put a couple of drops of mineral oil down her throat and rubbed her crop.

After these, she seems a little better, but still breath heavily. Also, there is fluid keep on coming out of her butt and stuck there. The fluid is dark red and kinda sticky, looks like blood. This morning, I tried to feed her some water. Was I doing correctly? I mean,should I keep on using rubbing alcohol to clean her butt? Every time I did it, she seemed to be in pain. Also, can I keep on using mineral oil to treat her crop? can I feed her mineral oil then water at the same time? I am totally new at this, and I love the chick I want her to survive and have a happy healthy chicken life. Thank you so much for any suggestions! Greatly appreciated!!

No I'm sorry to say that blood in the stool is never good. Try giving her some sugar water and give her some plain yogart. And keep her bottom clean with warm water. You can run her bottom under warm water until the poo loosening and then gently pull it off.

Back
Top Bottom