Help! I think my Cochin is a male!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Peachesbabychick, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everybody, well I thought for sure that my blue cochin was a hen.
    Now that she is almost 6 months old I am thinking otherwise because "she" appears to have long skinny shiny saddle feathers, and neck feathers.

The strange things are this: "she" hasn't crowed, she hasn't done, (or even tried) to do the mounting thing with my girls, my girls are in charge of "her". I thought that she layed an egg also, because a couple weeks ago ( before the cold) there was a tiny, cream colored egg in the nest box.

So here are my questions: When do Cochins normally crow, or lay eggs? Is it normal that a hen has shiny and pointy "saddle" feathers? I am puzzled.

I am sorry I can't get pics today because I am going to be really busy for the rest of the day.

Help!

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    From what I understand, cochins are a slowly maturing breed and pretty docile. If you have him with females of a more headstrong breed, like rocks, he may remain docile.... or he just hasn't sexually matured yet, which I think is more likely.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Hens DO NOT have thin pointy shiny hackle nor saddle feathers. If your roo isn't the master of his flock, he may not crow at all and he may not be ready to exert his love on the girls just yet.

4. Peachesbabychick

Ok, well I am really bummed about that. [​IMG]

Thanks for your information.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  5. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    To answer your questions...NO a pullet will NOT have pointy saddle feathers that is all cockerel. Just because it has not crowed yet doesn't mean anything. Allot of younger males will not crow if there are other males around in order not to draw unwanted attention to themselves until they feel they are old enough to stand their own ground with other males. As for no eggs, allot of pullets won't start to lay until they are older, even upwards of 7-9 months old. I have even had some wait till they were almost 10 months old before gracing me with their first egg. [​IMG]

6. Peachesbabychick

I was afraid of this. [​IMG]

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    do you have a pic to post before you make the final choice on "her"

8. Peachesbabychick

I will try to get a pic. Going to the coop right now. [​IMG] I really hope I am seeing things and it turns out to be a manly hen or something.

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have a LF Cochin boy who's almost 8 months old. I saw him mount one of the pullets last week, and heard him crow for the very first time today. They mature very slowly. Here's a pic of my boy to help you compare, he's black though...but it'll should help you see the manliness for yourself
    [​IMG]
    Him with his favorite lady
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  10. cochin_kookoo

cochin_kookoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2011
    Ureka, CO
    It does sound like a cockerel. I thought I had a barred cochin hen but because of him developing saddle feathers I began to wonder. Sure enough I caught him mounting one of my hens the other day. I still haven't heard him crow and he is now eight months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by