Help. I thought hatching under a broody would be easy.

theminimizer

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2013
On Saturday (day 20) I had 3 perfect little chicks hatch out, and was excited to have more.
Then, Sunday, I found 3 eggs started zipping but weren't able to finish before getting stuck and dying (we live in the desert) or stepped on by the hen before they could push the egg off.
Today, Monday, #7 was desiccated/ crushed and #8 had a hole and some movement. While checking the hole, it started bleeding and I immediately put it under the broody. Hours later, I went to check and found the broken and drying out egg pulsing underneath her, so I made a bigger hole in the shell and put it back under the broody. 2 hours later, the chick has hatched and is wet, and looks like it has severely curled toes, but it's alive.
The high is 100 degrees today and my broody has 3 - 2 day olds and a brand new chick that can't really move/ and is sleeping all the time to worry about.
What do I do with the runt? I'm not sure if I need to separate the just hatched chick or if she will get her bearings quickly and before the hen does anything crazy/ stupid.
I could do something for a couple days, but I don't want to commit for 6 weeks for one chick, that may have a hard time reintegrating.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• tempImagebKtWM9.png
    tempImagebKtWM9.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 37
Staggered hatches generally come with problems as hens are biologically programmed to leave the nest within 24 to 36 hours of the first chick hatching so that the chicks can access feed and water. I would allow the last chick to gain strength and mobility. If its feet are okay I would slip it under the hen at night and HOPE that she will accept it. Good luck.

Right after the chicks hatch, they have to rest, because it takes a lot of energy to break the shell. Crooked toes sometimes straighten out, and I've heard of some people taping them so that they are straight. The hen will reject that chick if there's something wrong with it, so you might want to separate it for a while.

Yeah, I put them all under the same day, and honestly I thought the small Silkie eggs would be first to hatch, but she's 2 days later than the easter Eggers.

Right after the chicks hatch, they have to rest, because it takes a lot of energy to break the shell. Crooked toes sometimes straighten out, and I've heard of some people taping them so that they are straight. The hen will reject that chick if there's something wrong with it, so you might want to separate it for a while.
Yes, I'll definitely tape, and I know this little silkie is tired, but I worry that she is going to just get completely left behind since broody is ready to leave the nest to hang out in the brooder.

Staggered hatches generally come with problems as hens are biologically programmed to leave the nest within 24 to 36 hours of the first chick hatching so that the chicks can access feed and water. I would allow the last chick to gain strength and mobility. If its feet are okay I would slip it under the hen at night and HOPE that she will accept it. Good luck.
oooh, I just checked again, and mama broody is sitting back in her nest. Fingers crossed.

Yes, I'll definitely tape, and I know this little silkie is tired, but I worry that she is going to just get completely left behind since broody is ready to leave the nest to hang out in the brooder.
I just recently hatched chicks for the first time too, and even when the hen was ready to leave the nest, the chicks stayed mostly in it, and she came back to it very frequently. The only thing I had to worry about was the clumsy hen stepping on her chicks!

Good...ish. :) The broody has recognized the weak chick and is trying to balance teaching the strong ones how to eat/ drink while trying to remember to keep the silkie warm. She's 20 hours old now. She is still super wobbly (perhaps from the curled toes) but maybe she's just young? Trying to decide when to put cardboard sandals on... and doing research on how to do it with feathered feet.

Attachments

• tempImageuaGSHl.png
    tempImageuaGSHl.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
  • tempImagea7my3d.png
    tempImagea7my3d.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom