help id a 2wk old

bhadrika

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Mansfield, MA
we're pretty sure about 22 of our 23 chicks, but not sure about this one -- either an Americauna, or just about anything else (ie, the free rare chick). Her feet do not look terribly green. She had the typical chipmunk-stripe thing going when she was a puffball, but just a fairly narrow dark stripe on her head.
PICT2396.jpg

Any ideas? And is our guess pretty good that if she was the first to grow tail feathers and shoulder feathers and has no comb to speak of, she's more than likely a she?

Bhadrika

looks like an Americauna to me, she appears to have ear tufts and the eye stripe. She has yellow legs but since most americauna but thats not unusual. Most americauna strains have been mixed with other breeds for better egg production, thats what makes IDing hard sometimes.

It is spelled Ameraucana, and she could be one, but she is more likely an Easter Egger because she has yellow legs (true Ameraucana have slate colored legs). We have one that looks/looked (he's older now) just like her, but with slate colored legs. We named him ChickenDuck.

Also, just to clear up something someone else said here.... Ameraucanas do NOT have ear tufts. They can have muffs or beards, or be clean headed. Araucanas will have ear tufts, but never muffs or beards. They can also have them unilaterally (one side only) or bilaterally (both sides) or one side bigger then the other. The two breeds are so often confused, I felt I just had to help out here, since they are what I am raising myself.
big_smile.png

Enjoy your little doll! She is priceless...but of course, I AM biased!
wink.png

If it is an EE it could be a boy. Dark legged cocks (like EE, and Ameraucanas) bred to light legged hens will produce female chicks with dark legs and male chicks with light legs. That only works for first generation crosses though so you could still have a girl.

The chipmunk strips (which are so cute!) can be found in a number of breeds and have more to do with the color pattern than the breed: i.e. you can't tell it's an Ameraucana or an EE because it has stripes. Partridge colored and Laced chicks often have stripes.

Here are some adorable examples courtesy of Feathersite:

Silver Grey Dorkings
SGDorkChix.jpg

Silver Leghorn
SilverLeghorn3wks.jpg

Welsummers
WelsChix3.jpg

...and Gold Partridge Dutch Bantams
GoldPartrDutchChix1Mos.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom