1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help id a 2wk old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bhadrika, Mar 29, 2007.

1. bhadrika

bhadrika Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2007
    Mansfield, MA
    we're pretty sure about 22 of our 23 chicks, but not sure about this one -- either an Americauna, or just about anything else (ie, the free rare chick). Her feet do not look terribly green. She had the typical chipmunk-stripe thing going when she was a puffball, but just a fairly narrow dark stripe on her head.
    [​IMG]

Any ideas? And is our guess pretty good that if she was the first to grow tail feathers and shoulder feathers and has no comb to speak of, she's more than likely a she?

Bhadrika

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    looks like an Americauna to me, she appears to have ear tufts and the eye stripe. She has yellow legs but since most americauna but thats not unusual. Most americauna strains have been mixed with other breeds for better egg production, thats what makes IDing hard sometimes.

3. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    I don't have any ideas about what breed she is, but what a princess. [​IMG]

4. Juliechickens

Juliechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Hi, she looks like like an Americauna chick to me! Exactly like the ones at a feed store near my house. Precious! Julie [​IMG] Juliechickens@aol.com:)

5. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    It is spelled Ameraucana, and she could be one, but she is more likely an Easter Egger because she has yellow legs (true Ameraucana have slate colored legs). We have one that looks/looked (he's older now) just like her, but with slate colored legs. We named him ChickenDuck.

Also, just to clear up something someone else said here.... Ameraucanas do NOT have ear tufts. They can have muffs or beards, or be clean headed. Araucanas will have ear tufts, but never muffs or beards. They can also have them unilaterally (one side only) or bilaterally (both sides) or one side bigger then the other. The two breeds are so often confused, I felt I just had to help out here, since they are what I am raising myself. [​IMG]

Enjoy your little doll! She is priceless...but of course, I AM biased! [​IMG]

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

She looks an awful lot like my BLRWs... but she's not the same color. Look at the two stripes down her back and the one on her head. My babies have that, too.

7. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Don't know, but she's really pretty! [​IMG]

8. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    She looks like an Ameraucana.

9. Jimagination

Jimagination Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    This one is identical to one of my Ameraucana, actually, my favorite one. I am afraid however that mine may be a roo![​IMG]

10. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

If it is an EE it could be a boy. Dark legged cocks (like EE, and Ameraucanas) bred to light legged hens will produce female chicks with dark legs and male chicks with light legs. That only works for first generation crosses though so you could still have a girl.

The chipmunk strips (which are so cute!) can be found in a number of breeds and have more to do with the color pattern than the breed: i.e. you can't tell it's an Ameraucana or an EE because it has stripes. Partridge colored and Laced chicks often have stripes.

Here are some adorable examples courtesy of Feathersite:

Silver Grey Dorkings
    [​IMG]

Silver Leghorn
    [​IMG]

Welsummers
    [​IMG]

...and Gold Partridge Dutch Bantams
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by