Help ID a rescue Lop Rabbit

uchytil

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 28, 2011

rescued her last fall and nursed back to form. I'm a FG guy so no clue to breed on this Lop. I would like a definitive answer on type and coloring. I have a neighbor's grand-daughter wanting to show a rabbit this summer and I would lend it to her now to get ready.

Thanks, John

Look under Holland Lop topics. I had a mini and he was a sweetheart. Is this spayed or neutered? Buck or Doe? Contact your county extension office regarding how the Lop should be registered. ~C

How big is this rabbit? My guess is possibly a Holland Lop because the ears are short. Could be a Mini Lop though. The color appears to be broken Chestnut.

With a face that round and an ear that short, I can't think that is any thing other than a Holland Lop. The color looks like Broken Tort, though it's not the best picture for seeing that..

Thank you for the replies. I'll try and take a better picture with my DSLR today, and weigh her.

I'll close by saying I have a definitive answer - Broken Chestnut Agouti Mini Lop.

I'll close by saying I have a definitive answer - Broken Chestnut Agouti Mini Lop.
The color I'll agree on (blew the pic up and really looked at it), but the head and ears are all wrong for a Mini Lop. I'm curious what the source of your definitive information is?

Holland Lops can come waaaay bigger than the breed standard allows. This girl, for example, was a pedigreed Holland Lop, though she weighed over 5 pounds:

People who know the breed would know that she was a "false dwarf" or "brood doe." As big as she was, her face was obviously too short and rounded to be a Mini Lop.

If the grand daughter is going to show in 4-H, she might be OK, since I believe they concentrate more on the child than the animal (in this area, anyway - can't say what they do in other places). She isn't thinking of taking her to an ARBA show, is she?

The color I'll agree on (blew the pic up and really looked at it), but the head and ears are all wrong for a Mini Lop. I'm curious what the source of your definitive information is?

Holland Lops can come waaaay bigger than the breed standard allows. This girl, for example, was a pedigreed Holland Lop, though she weighed over 5 pounds:

People who know the breed would know that she was a "false dwarf" or "brood doe." As big as she was, her face was obviously too short and rounded to be a Mini Lop.

If the grand daughter is going to show in 4-H, she might be OK, since I believe they concentrate more on the child than the animal (in this area, anyway - can't say what they do in other places). She isn't thinking of taking her to an ARBA show, is she?
A lady that raises, sells, and shows Lops feels it's a Mini. I raise Flemish Giants and know nothing about other breeds other than basic stuff. I can take a better picture if you'd like to see something else. I would really like to offer a clear, consise, description to the girl as she's just starting out. Her grandparents are farmers and are the ones mediating with me. I believe she's going to do 4H in the local fairs this summer. One requisite that grandmom mentioned was the the rabbit needed to be at least 3 months old by July which is no problem.

The lops story is pretty sad and very common. A girls gets a rabbit, leaves to college, mom takes care of rabbit and then decides to release said rabbit into a city street environment. Blind luck that TSC still had one of my adds for Giants and gave her the number. I rescued her aqnd now have a Lop of undetermined age and breed.

That is a Broken Tort mini lop. He is a cutie.

What kind of showing is your neighbor interested in?, if she's interested in the ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association) then she wont be able to use him. If he is a rescue he wouldn't have any pedigree. I know he looks purebred, but to show "Profesianally" then she'll need pedigree for him. But, if she wants to do 4-H or just do some local Fairs, then he'll be perfect.

Back
Top Bottom