Help ID a rescue Lop Rabbit

That is a Broken Tort mini lop. He is a cutie.

What kind of showing is your neighbor interested in?, if she's interested in the ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association) then she wont be able to use him. If he is a rescue he wouldn't have any pedigree. I know he looks purebred, but to show "Profesianally" then she'll need pedigree for him. But, if she wants to do 4-H or just do some local Fairs, then he'll be perfect.
Actually, you don't need a pedigree to show a rabbit in an ARBA sanctioned show. The person that I bought a Harlequin from never sent me his pedigree, and I thought he was too nice a rabbit to not use. Several of his progeny won grand champion legs, though without complete pedigrees, they couldn't be registered, so they couldn't become grand champions. They were still eligible to show, though.

If the OP's friend breeds and shows Minis and Hollands, and she feels that it is a Mini, then I defer to her experience. After all, she has had the opportunity to see the rabbit, and a picture can be deceiving. I've only bred Hollands for over 20 years; the only Mini I've ever owned was nearly 30 years ago (all of the other Mini Lops I've seen have been at shows).

Actually, you don't need a pedigree to show a rabbit in an ARBA sanctioned show. The person that I bought a Harlequin from never sent me his pedigree, and I thought he was too nice a rabbit to not use. Several of his progeny won grand champion legs, though without complete pedigrees, they couldn't be registered, so they couldn't become grand champions. They were still eligible to show, though.

If the OP's friend breeds and shows Minis and Hollands, and she feels that it is a Mini, then I defer to her experience. After all, she has had the opportunity to see the rabbit, and a picture can be deceiving. I've only bred Hollands for over 20 years; the only Mini I've ever owned was nearly 30 years ago (all of the other Mini Lops I've seen have been at shows).

Well, It is way better to have pedigree's for an ARBA show. If you realize how much work the show secretaries have, then you would be kind enough NOT to bring an un-pedigreed rabbit to a show. It just creates a whole lot more work for the secretary.

Quote: How? At all of the shows I have been to, the only information the show secretaries have asked for is the breed, color, class (Jr buck, Jr doe, etc) ear number, open or youth, and owner. Nobody has ever asked about pedigrees; there isn't any place on the entry form for any information on the pedigree. ARBA doesn't keep records of pedigrees, only registrations, and since a junior by definition can't be registered, there's nothing to cross-check.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom