Help id gender on possibly sex linked chicks.

Cornishboyraptor

Songster
Nov 27, 2020
So i have a rooster that is a RIR crossed with a light Sussex and a cream legbar hens but there's other breeds, roosters and hens but I'm positive that they are the parents. Another rooster it should be sex linked anyway?
There are 2 chicks, the dry one is over a day old whole the wet one is just under a day old.
And does anyone else has a RIR cross cream legbar as my roo cross looks to show mainly the RIR with Columbian markers on the end of his hackles.

Attachments

• 20210904_074738.jpg
    20210904_074738.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210902_202334.jpg
    20210902_202334.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 7
Honestly, without knowing who the parent stock is, I wouldn't say they were sex-linked. If you want to breed sex-linked birds, separate out who you're wanting to get fertile eggs from and hatch that way. With a mixed flock, there's no guarantee that these are sex-linked. If there are other males, these could be their chicks.

So i have a rooster that is a RIR crossed with a light Sussex and a cream legbar hens but there's other breeds, roosters and hens but I'm positive that they are the parents. Another rooster it should be sex linked anyway?

If the mother has barring
and the father does not
then any chick with barring (headspot at hatch) will be male
and the unbarred (no headspot) chicks will be female.

But:

If there is a possible father with white barring, then you could have barred chicks of both genders, no matter who their mother is.

If there is a possible mother with no white barring, and the father also has no barring, then you could have unbarred chicks of either gender.

So depending on how sure you are of the parents, you might be able to tell but might not.

So my wording of my situation is terrible lol. I found it hard to re read. So, I'm pretty sure the dad is a RIR crossed with a light Sussex but shows mostly RIR with Columbian markers at the end if his hackles and the mother could be a leghorn that lays blue eggs or the cream legbar. What makes me think it's the cream legbar is they are chickmunk while the offspring the the leghorn is a blue colouration. I'm sure the dad is the RIR cross light sussex is that both chicks has red around their neck and other places.

Back
Top Bottom