Help! Ideas to Maximize Run Addition?

My winter was like that -- rain and rain and more rain. That's one of the reasons we're not done with the Chicken Palace so that my chickens are living in a conglomeration of odd, rednecked housing.

All I can recommend is to increase the ventilation to the maximum possible without letting rain in and add dry organic material to soak up the wet. The coarsest material you can readily access to allow maximum airflow in the bedding. (Wish I could send you a bale of pine straw).

This is the tarp "porch" on my brooder -- it keeps the rain out of the wire wall without restricting airflow.

0518211559a.jpg

I always thought "straw" was bad at resisting moisture and mold?
I do have large pine flakes I can add. i can get more large litter at a store.

Pine straw is the fallen needles of Loblolly and Longleaf pines -- 6-12" long. It's a big thing in the southeast -- actually raised on "straw farms" and baled for sale. Landscapers LOVE it.

I rake mine up off the lawn and out of the woods rather than buying it.

The great thing about it is that it resists compacting, doesn't mold readily, and dries out on top very quickly once the rain stops.

I forgot to mention in the previous post that mold often starts first on spilled feed. A spot-cleaning around the feeder might help if they've been throwing feed around more aggressively than usual due to being inside more in the bad weather.

Pine straw bale:
1625236034727.png

Pine straw in landscape bed:
1625236114627.png

Pine straw in my run:
0406211506c_HDR.jpg

I just dump it in and let them spread it.

I *do* use regular straw in my run too -- mostly as intact bales for winter wind baffles, but sometimes as litter when I'm low on the pine straw. I have EXCEEDINGLY well-drained, sandy soil and haven't had a mold problem but most people don't have my soil.

You can put pallets down over muddy areas to give the chickens (and you yourself), something to walk on out of the wet.

Got it.
And one thing I remember reading in a thread here is that if you rake deep litter too deeply, that's not good. I wonder if I may have done that - stirred up some of the lower layer that was supposed to stay put.

I've never heard of that myself. The chickens dig down to dirt to make dustbaths regularly.

But, again, my soil conditions are unusually favorable for very casual management of my litter. When I have a problem I just pile more in. :)

Our southeastern pines wouldn't grow in your area, but if you have a pine available that has long, flexible needles instead of short, stiff, spiky needles that would be the thing.

And then, I know I've seen some well-functioning chicken yards with what looks like rocks right up to the chicken house. It actually looks like gravel. We can get some of that as well.

I personally would not use gravel anywhere chickens would be unless you have no other means of solving a serious mud problem. IIRC, this article shows some times when gravel is necessary: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-fix-a-muddy-run-chicken-coop.47807/

People with sand in the coop/run long-term are usually in a situation where they can keep it absolutely dry and they scoop it very frequently.

The problem with gravel is that the poop filters down into it where it cannot be cleaned out by any means and, unlike organic material, it doesn't compost either -- instead it rots and stinks any time it gets wet.

You have many plans ahead of you. I am still trying to visualize all that you described.
If I was in the backyard with you next to me, I would be able to offer much more, since a back and forth conversation is priceless, in conveying a message.
Let me offer some advice about what I do know. The Polycarbonate panels are good and I have them on the back of my garage as a overhead weather shield. Mine are a blue clear color, and it seem not available. Clear and smoke color are. Had mine up for over 20 years, and served me well. I have my panels supported every 2 feet, since I do encounter a significant snow load.
View attachment 2716244
There are also same size panels available in Fiberglass. which is stronger. Not available as commonly as the polycarbonate, but If you search,,,,,,,,, sure you can find some.
In my area, Menards carries them. I did not check other stores, but Home Depot does not have them listed .
View attachment 2716245

The panels are comparably priced.

This is my input to your many questions.:frow

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
Thank you for all this information!

The use of clear panels is EXTREMELY dependent on climate. If I'd gone for a clear roof I'd be building a rotisserie rather than a coop because 95F with 95% humidity is my normal summer weather. But if I still lived up in the mountains they'd be a great option. :)

I'm having trouble visualizing this (I may need another cup of coffee ;) ), but, again, climate.

Which direction do your storm winds come from? You want a solid wall to windward and the open side to the leeward.

Could you draw a sketch plan of the current arrangement and proposed changes with the prevailing winds and storm winds indicated? It doesn't have to be perfect. but would be helpful. :)
I will try... Not sure how it's going to look !🤪

I just learned of some free sheet metal - large pieces, certainly enough to add on to the existing roof and also make some awnings or overhangs. But when I asked if it was wavy/ridged or flat, the person said its peaks occur 1 ft apart. The current metal roof's ridges occur at probably 5" intervals at best. Does that sound like it could be suitable for a run roof and awnings?

Putting a new roof/run together could give me the opportunity to insulate at least the new one fairly readily, I imagine - something I'm looking forward to.

Back
Top Bottom