Help Identify Breed.

abmung

In the Brooder
May 19, 2023
Hi,

I do have a cockerel, possibly 8 or 9 weeks old now that was rescued in the mid of April and I thought I would ask the community help me guess or tell what kind of a breed he is. He is out growing every chicks in the my young flock. I am thinking between three different breeds, Jersey Giant, Black Orpington, and Black Australorp. (Possibility of a mix too) Here is some pictures I took. It’s the black chick. First pic was taken couple days ago prior to this post and the last was taken the 2nd day he was rescued.
IMG_1388.jpeg IMG_1376.jpeg
IMG_1373.jpeg

IMG_1311.jpeg
IMG_1305.jpeg
IMG_1265.jpeg

Leakage indicates mix breed cockerel. Very possible he has been mixed with one of the breeds you listed. May I ask what you mean by rescued?

He looks almost identical to my jersey giant mix. He carry’s more leakage than my Cocoa dose but I think that’s a cockerel trait. I can’t figure out what she was mixed with but I do think they are the
same mix.

Because he is larger at this point, doesn't or wouldn't indicate necessarily that he is mixed with a Jersey giant. They tend to develop very slowly and don't start pulling away from the pack until 6 to 8 months.

Leakage indicates mix breed cockerel. Very possible he has been mixed with one of the breeds you listed. May I ask what you mean by rescued?
Long story short: He was found in a cardboard box along with the other two, white and brown chicks on the side of the road. On the box it was written “Baby Chicks Need Help!” Out of curiosity I stopped and heard them crying inside the box. That’s how it all started.

Long story short: He was found in a cardboard box along with the other two, white and brown chicks on the side of the road. On the box it was written “Baby Chicks Need Help!” Out of curiosity I stopped and heard them crying inside the box. That’s how it all started.
Terribly sad. I suppose whoever left them gave them a chance atleast. Good for you for stopping.

Back
Top Bottom