Help Identify droppings **Warning: poop pics**

FormerCityGal

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Hi everyone,

I went out to our open hay storage area this morning and found droppings on top of a stack of hay.

Would it be gross if I posted a pic of it to help identify what it's from?

I hope no one here is disturbed by it because I do it.
big_smile.png
Just say something like "Poop pictures" or "Graphic" in the title to warn any people who would rather not look.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

The Illinois extension site was helpful. The pics look similar to coyote, but I'm still not sure.

I had already fed my horses 3 flakes of hay underneath the poop before I took the pics, so it was about 1 foot higher off the ground than the photo. We have been debating about it here..."it has to be the neighbor's dog"..."too small for the neighbor dog"..."how about a cat?"..."too big for a cat"...etc.

This was the same hay area that I accidentally left some eggs on top of the hay and they disappeared without a trace.

My husband loaned our game-cam to a friend or I would have put that up.

Just how big is the neighbor's dog? What breed is it?

Doesn't look like cat feces to me.
However, my husband says it does and is about the right size. He was also eating when I showed him the picture, so I'm not sure if he's trolling me or not.

Last edited:
^^^Lol subhanalah! I feel like gagging whenever I look at the pics myself (and I couldn't figure out how to hide them behind a link).

There are 3 adult dogs next door...some type of Australian Shepherd mix. I'm not good at estimating weight...maybe 45-50 lbs.? Two of them very agile - I have seen them jump their front gate without hardly touching it. They are allowed to free roam in the neighborhood at times
hmm.png
. I have not personally seen them in our own yard, but I suspect they have been. We have two large German Shepherds, however, they usually do not have free run of the property (we have a large dog run attached to the house and let them run the property only when we are home).

I am wondering why any critter would take a dump right there on the stack of hay...

Last edited:
^^^Lol subhanalah!  I feel like gagging whenever I look at the pics myself (and I couldn't figure out how to hide them behind a link).

There are 3 adult dogs next door...some type of Australian Shepherd mix.  I'm not good at estimating weight...maybe 45-50 lbs.?  Two of them very agile - I have seen them jump their front gate without hardly touching it.  They are allowed to free roam in the neighborhood at times :/ .  I have not personally seen them in our own yard, but I suspect they have been.  We have two large German Shepherds, however, they usually do not have free run of the property (we have a large dog run attached to the house and let them run the property only when we are home). 

I am wondering why any critter would take a dump right there on the stack of hay...
they are marking their territory. You really need to get that game cam up!

Back
Top Bottom