Help identify my "filler" chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by japrasz, Jun 24, 2007.

1. japrasz

japrasz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2007
    Hello I got a dozen Rhode Island Reds from the local feed and seed store. To keep them warm in shipping they added "filler." This filler was a dozen mystery chickens. I think they might be Araucana, but I'm not sure. They seem to be more agressive towards each other them the RIR. I know two are roosters so far. THey are 9 1/2 weeks old. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    If the link doesn't work let me know this is my first time posting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Definitely looks like Americaunas/Easter Eggers in there. They sure are pretty!!

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!

Wow! You have some beautiful Easter Eggers there! And for free, it doesn't get any better than that!!

4. japrasz

Jun 24, 2007
    Great!! Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to having blue/green eggs. I don't suppose any one could tell from the picture if they were pullets or cockerels. If not could anyone give me tips on how to tell the difference. Or do I need to post a new question for that.

5. Chickenlover88

Chickenlover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    What hatcheries were they fillers for? I know ideal ships fillers for warmth and they always send roosters.

6. japrasz

Jun 24, 2007
    I'm not sure what hatcher they used, but I think your right that most of them are roosters. I know of two for sure they have started crowing. Also, they seem very agressive compared to the RIRs.

7. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    I think one looks to me like a hen. But the rest of the EEs look rooster-ish. My one EE hen still has a yellow-pink comb and she is about 13 weeks old.

-MTchick

8. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    I think they're officially called packing POPCORN!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by