Help identify my Rusty!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bmanty, Mar 27, 2017.

1. bmanty

bmanty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2017
    Fergus Falls MN
    Hi, I am new here, we moved in a couple years back and the house had a coop with chickens. I was able to identify them all but this one. She is big and black with the red rush up front, hence her nickname my boys gave her.

I am all new to this and over the last two years I have been doing more and taking great care of all of them and am getting new chicks this year. I don't think the last tenants of the house took care of them like we do.

Any help in identifying her would be great. I have checked many posters, etc but cant narrow it down.

thank you[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'd say she's a black sex link.

3. bmanty

bmanty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2017
    Fergus Falls MN
    Thank you, can you tell me what that means? Sorry still trying to pick up on the lingo.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I see that Pyxis is offline, so I'll try to explain. A sex-link (in this case black) is a hybrid where selected breeds (or birds exhibiting certain feather colour characteristics) are cross-mated that enables one to discern gender at hatch. Male chicks have a white spot on the top of their heads. Here's a link of a search that I just did which will give you more info - https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=sex+links

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 Pyxis

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

She's a black sex link. Often sold as Black Stars. They're a hybrid layer bred for high production of large brown eggs. Usually friendly and docile and do great in a backyard setting.

Sex link means the sex of the bird is linked to a particular trait, usually color. Makes it easy to sex chicks at hatch.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Probably a Black Sex-link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by