Help identify please?

Georgiahome622

Songster
6 Years
Jan 15, 2018
North Florida
Hi there!

I have 13 hens and a surprise rooster that are 9 weeks old. I'm new to this and enjoying it very much! My chickens adore me but only one or two will allow me to pick them up without a ruckus. I keep trying to gently pet them and gain their trust in my touch. They love me because I bring them a little banana or pear in the afternoon.

Anyway, my chicks are a colored egg assortment from Hoover Hatchery - it supposedly contains a mixture of Americana, Olive Egger, Prairie Blue, Sapphire Olive, Starlight Green, 3 types of Marans: French Black Copper, Midnight Majesty and Cuckoo. I suspect also Easter Egger.

I have a few that are very similar, so I'm only asking about the ones with unique coloring.

Thank you so much,

Georgia

Attachments

• Maran.jpg
    Maran.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Nellie.jpg
    Nellie.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 19
  • blackandgold.jpg
    blackandgold.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Grey.jpg
    Grey.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Goldie.jpg
    Goldie.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Little Red.jpg
    Little Red.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Roo.jpg
    Roo.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Nosey.jpg
    Nosey.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 20
Hi there!

I have 13 hens and a surprise rooster that are 9 weeks old. I'm new to this and enjoying it very much! My chickens adore me but only one or two will allow me to pick them up without a ruckus. I keep trying to gently pet them and gain their trust in my touch. They love me because I bring them a little banana or pear in the afternoon.

Anyway, my chicks are a colored egg assortment from Hoover Hatchery - it supposedly contains a mixture of Americana, Olive Egger, Prairie Blue, Sapphire Olive, Starlight Green, 3 types of Marans: French Black Copper, Midnight Majesty and Cuckoo. I suspect also Easter Egger.

I have a few that are very similar, so I'm only asking about the ones with unique coloring.

Thank you so much,

Georgia
First looks like a midnight majesty maran, second looks like a Colombian Wyandotte, 3 and 4 are Easter eggers, 5 and 6 are probably prairie blue or starlight green, I’m not sure about 7 except for the fact that he’s a male and 8 is a buff orpington.

Americana = Easter egger
Purebred ameraucanas are spelled with no i and have a specific feather and leg color.

1. Midnight Majesty Marans
  2. Agree looks like Colombian Wyandotte
  3. Easter Egger (Americana)
  4. Easter Egger (Americana)
  5. Starlight Green Egger
  6. Either Olive Egger or One of the “hatchery hybrids” (Sappire Olive Egger, Prarie Blue, Starlight Green, etc... I don’t study the hatchery birds enough to know.)
  7. New Hampshire Red? (@Overo Mare)
  8. Buff Orpington.
No pure Ameraucanas. Americana is another name for EE. Hoover’s does not sell Ameraucanas to my knowledge.

78EDE6B5-BA6D-46A2-A223-DA9D205B51B7.png

5. Starlight Green Egger
  6. Either Olive Egger or One of the “hatchery hybrids” (Sappire Olive Egger, Prarie Blue, Starlight Green, etc... I don’t study the hatchery birds enough to know.)
  8. Buff Orpington.
No pure Ameraucanas. Americana is another name for EE. Hoover’s does not sell Ameraucanas to my knowledge.

View attachment 2630863
Agreed.

5. Starlight Green Egger
  8. Buff Orpington.

View attachment 2630863
I agree other than I think the New Hampshire is actually a broiler. They carry something called a Rudd Ranger that I would bet on. Also last two are both cockerels

Back
Top Bottom