Help Identify Please!

rcHarriot

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 17, 2012
Hey Guys,
We just rescued this hen wandering around lost in my nans backgarden in the city, guess she was a pet, my other half is a vet nurse in the local vets where she was found and hasn't heard anybody ask about her, so she's moved out to the country side with us now! Neighbors have some hens and a rooster, so she's livng with them now.
We say she, because we think it's a young hen, but wouldn't be certain!
The hens/rooster she's with are just standard chickens, (I think) road island reds (look like this?) .
Our hen's not had any problems with them and the cock has left her alone, not much bonding yet (only been 2 days) but she's eating fine, and sleeping fine with the rest of the chickens!
Pics below:

Thanks!

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Will get more pics as soon as I can, it'll be tomorrow earliest that I can get and post them though. These are only from a mobile, I'll use a proper camera.
We thought maybe it just didn't have the waddle/comb because it was young, it's about half size of the other chickens, but I just read dubbing can limit the size they grow too aswell, anyway will get more pics asap.

Edit: btw, it does get below freezing (the UK area) for a month or two here in the winter.

Last edited:
BTW, if he really is a gamecock, does that mean there'll be a problem with living with the road island cock?

Doesn't seem to be any problems so far, when first introduced, the cock came over, our guy jumped up and kicked with his legs, the RI cock pecked and our guy ran away! RI cock payed no attention to him after that, one female did keep approaching our guy and would peck, or our guy would jump up, kick and run away!

Your Rhode Island Reds are Red Sex-Links, if they look like the bird in the linked photo.

As the bird in question it is a gamefowl, but I wouldn't be so quick to declare it a rooster. I don't see any positive male features, and body type looks rather feminine. Many people think that all gamefowl are single combed and dubbed, but your bird could naturally have a cushion comb. However, the true test for gender while concerning most gamefowl is the coloration. By these blurred photos it is impossible to get a good look at the color.

Your bird though appears to be black breasted red in coloration. With Black Breasted Red chickens (and other wild type colors) it is very easy to determine a bird's gender as the males and females are different colors. Males have black chests, and hens have light brown chests. Now while growing up it takes some time for males to get their black chest, they do revile their gender through blotchy feathers. Hens always have smooth colors that flow into one another.

Black Breasted Red Pair (These are not my birds, but should give you an idea of the difference in coloration with males and females of the black breasted red variety.)

I couldn't get pictures because it was dark when I got home and they had gone in to roost.
Might be the weekend before I get some, or some morning before work maybe I can, but I'll defo get more!

I have more pictures, their quality still isn't great as they were only from my girlfriends camera phone last week before ours was put in with the rest of the chickens.
I will get proper ones at the weekend when it is bright.

Back
Top Bottom