help identify this chicken

TroyD

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
I ordered this chicken from Southern Farm Hatchery about 4 months ago. I should have been a Speckled Sussex hen. The older it gets the more clueless I get. I was sure it was a hen till the tail started growing bigger than the other roosters. What do you Think?
The brown one in the front.

Im hoping for a hen with an awesome tail.

Thank you for your help everyone.

Do you think it's a rooster even without having any comb? Im so upset to have gotten 3 rooster out of the 5 hens I bought :(

Looks to be an EE rooster. Did you buy sexed chicks? If so, I would be calling the place where you purchased. Most places guarantee a 90% rate of success and will refund/replace chicks that turn out to be roos. That is a terrible sexing ratio!

Sorry...why do you think that the others are roos? Could you post close up head shots/ side shots for us to consider?

Do you think it's a rooster even without having any comb? Im so upset to have gotten 3 rooster out of the 5 hens I bought :(
there are many different types of combs,EE's usally have a "rose" comb which are close to the head in both males and females,you have a cockerel there for sure,I'm surprised it hasn't started crowing yet

I bought sexed chicks from Southern Farm Hatchery. I wanted all girls. The Buff Orpington has a large comb and i have seen him crow. I have 2 Black Arstalorps one looks to be a rooster, larger comb, bigger bird and a larger tail than the other Arstalorp. Its funny that you are guessing EE because Southern farms does not sell them. They do sell Ameraucna. EE and Ameraucna are different breeds right? I did email the hatchery but have not heard back from them.

Most hatcheries say that their birds are Ameracaunas when, in fact, they are EEs. The only way to get a true Ameracauna is through a private breeder.

Back
Top Bottom