Help identify this rescue?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JuneFknCleaver, Mar 21, 2012.

1. JuneFknCleaver

JuneFknCleaver New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    The other day I was given a little chicken that was found wandering alone in the road. Other than being scared and a little hen-pecked, she seems in okay shape. I have no clue what breed she is or if she actually IS a she. I also am only about 98% sure she's a chicken and I have no idea what age she is. She makes a very funny noise which is a little bit turkey-like. She's mostly white with a little bit of buff over the wings and body. She has a black spot on the top of her head and no comb (yet?) and no discernible tail feathers (yet?). Her eyes are blue/gray and each has a little bit of an eyelid, or protrusion at the top of the eye. This does not seem to be caused by an injury, just how she is normally. Her legs and lobes, and beak are white. I would love to have more info on this little one. Is it possible she might be Araucana? I'm keeping her apart from my flock at the moment until I can get some info on her age. She seems pretty young. Any help would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. rednana9

rednana9 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I dont know what she is but its pretty. If u have chickens u should be able to tell by the sound cause turkeys make a totally different sound from chickens.[​IMG]

3. PrettyCoy

PrettyCoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Is it possible she's a guinea keet?

4. zeely

zeely Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2011
    honestly, she doesn't really look like a chicken. maybe a young guinea hen?

5. JuneFknCleaver

JuneFknCleaver New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    I'm by no means a chicken expert, I have been raising a very small flock for only about 3 years now with mixed bantams and some Barred Rocks. The more time that passes makes me think she's probably not a chicken and I have not been able to find any breed that fits in my research. Not sure what to do with the poor little thing...

Oh, and THANK YOU!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  6. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    I am sure she's not a guinea keet. The eyelid protrusions are fascinating. She looks quail-ish, but seems too large for that. If you hold onto her, she will probably reveal herself. :) I'd love to know what she turns out to be. Good luck!

7. Chickgirl201040

Chickgirl201040 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2012
    Kansas in the Country
    she looks kinda like pigeon to me

8. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    That is either a dove or a pigeon, for sure not a chicken. Is the sound she makes like "ooOo-ooo-ooooOoooO"?

9. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    in a way she looks like a young flegling dove, we've got them all over the place

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by