Help identify?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shadowgrass, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Shadowgrass

Shadowgrass Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Hi, I am fairly new to chicken raising, have a flock of 6 RIR hens, 7 weeks old. The last few days at work, oddly enough, this chicken was hanging out in front of our building. I placed a found ad online, but haven't heard anything. So, I was thinking that maybe it was a roo, or someone thought it was a roo and let it go. Dunno.

Well, I netted it and was going to bring it home, separated for a while. I don't even know if it is a bantam or a standard, what breed, or approximate age. If someone could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know these pictures aren't the best, but the person holding it for me was scared. There are no tell-tale roo feathers. Looks like a leghorn heen tail, sort of upward pointing. It is blonde, not quite buff color.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Its a hen, looks like an OEG(Old English Game Bantam). Could you post a pic of her standing by herself and I could give you a better answer.

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    These pictures are a little hard to tell much by, but I'm almost certain that's an old english game bantam. Perhaps she's a red pyle OEGB? Look that up and see what you think. [​IMG] She's cute!

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    what a cute OEGB hen she is adorable [​IMG] man the only thing I've had show up was a guinea and it hasn't shut up since it got here

5. Shadowgrass

Shadowgrass Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    OMG, you guys are NOT going to believe this. Answered the sex question. Ha, that has to be the funniest thing ever. I opened the box (we just caught her about an hour ago) to get a standing up picture, imagine my surprise. A perfect little egg! I looked around outside, like I said she has been hanging out here since Monday morning. Didn't find any though. She's in the cardboard box because I am at work, she has been hanging out under the bushes in the front.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    you are so lucky [​IMG]

7. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    She wanted to give you some lunch for rescuing her! [​IMG] From the pics it looks like she is a red pyle oeg or a red pyle cross.

8. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    A great bird is one that promptly lays an egg upon being rescued. She is a keeper.

Lanae

9. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    ummm, why can't I have chickens just show up at my place?

LOL, obviously a girl, right?

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Red Plye OEGB Hen. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by