Help Identifying adult ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Happycheese, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Happycheese

Happycheese Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Carlisle, PA
    So I just drove 30 min (round trip) to get some free ducks! I was told they are 4 month old mallards, no idea on sex. I get there and I'm like o_O - definitely NOT mallards! and HUGE for 4 months old!!!!
    Pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any ideas? I know for sure they are both females - loud quacks and smooth tails.

2. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

might be campbells, or rouens though I can't tell if they are marked right. they could be mutts too, definately not mallards though.

3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Not Campbells...Campbells don't have eyestripes....

Do they have a steel-gray tinge to them? It looks like it in the picture, but I'm not sure if it's really there or if it's just the lighting or my monitor.

I'd probably vote mutts! [​IMG]

4. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Cute mutts...

5. Happycheese

Apr 8, 2010
    Carlisle, PA
    emailed the lady and asked, said she got them from her sister's science class that hatched them and they got them from a local farmer. So it's probable they are mutts.

@Annarie they are steelish grey with brown bellies. Is it possible the eye strips will go away?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  6. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    The eye stripes probably will go away when they get there full adult plumage. They are pretty though and I second that cute mutts.

7. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I bet they will be happy with you. Plenty of food aka weeds in your yard.
    Not that my yard is much better. [​IMG]
    My ducks are great at the feed and weed routine. Also knows as the poo fertilize - eat bugs and weed garden routine.
    They are so good at it, and love you for providing. Clueless duckies.... [​IMG]
    Katharina

8. Happycheese

Apr 8, 2010
    Carlisle, PA
    Thanks Katharina, I hope they are happy [​IMG] Not sure if they will breed with my mallard drakes though, we'll see next spring!

I didn't realize campbells were so big. Is there a proper name for what color they are? Could the eye lines only be from certain breeds? I would assume mallards and maybe rouens. They are LOUD - remind me more of geese than ducks!

Only reason I care (I won't love them any less!) is that I would like to properly market the babies next year.

9. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    They are mutts and thats there adult plumage. By four months they should have it. You definetly have one female, but I can't see the other one's tail feathers. They are probably crossed with a rouen or mallard though because of the eye stripe.

10. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

my 3 month old mallards are as big as my 1 1/2 year old mallard... I don't think they're too HUGE to be 4 months...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by