Help Identifying adult ducks!

Happycheese

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Carlisle, PA
So I just drove 30 min (round trip) to get some free ducks! I was told they are 4 month old mallards, no idea on sex. I get there and I'm like :hmm - definitely NOT mallards! and HUGE for 4 months old!!!!
Pictures:
2euo7xs.jpg

28j9nx0.jpg

Any ideas? I know for sure they are both females - loud quacks and smooth tails.

Not Campbells...Campbells don't have eyestripes....

Do they have a steel-gray tinge to them? It looks like it in the picture, but I'm not sure if it's really there or if it's just the lighting or my monitor.

I'd probably vote mutts!
tongue.png

emailed the lady and asked, said she got them from her sister's science class that hatched them and they got them from a local farmer. So it's probable they are mutts.

@Annarie they are steelish grey with brown bellies. Is it possible the eye strips will go away?

Last edited:
The eye stripes probably will go away when they get there full adult plumage. They are pretty though and I second that cute mutts.

I bet they will be happy with you. Plenty of food aka weeds in your yard.
Not that my yard is much better.
big_smile.png

My ducks are great at the feed and weed routine. Also knows as the poo fertilize - eat bugs and weed garden routine.
They are so good at it, and love you for providing. Clueless duckies....
wink.png

Katharina

Thanks Katharina, I hope they are happy
smile.png
Not sure if they will breed with my mallard drakes though, we'll see next spring!

I didn't realize campbells were so big. Is there a proper name for what color they are? Could the eye lines only be from certain breeds? I would assume mallards and maybe rouens. They are LOUD - remind me more of geese than ducks!

Only reason I care (I won't love them any less!) is that I would like to properly market the babies next year.

They are mutts and thats there adult plumage. By four months they should have it. You definetly have one female, but I can't see the other one's tail feathers. They are probably crossed with a rouen or mallard though because of the eye stripe.

Back
Top Bottom