Help Identifying and sexing

pheasantfreak

Songster
12 Years
May 25, 2011
Preston, idaho
Hello everyone I bought some lady Amherst juveniles to go with a rooster I picked up last fall however I noticed when I got them home and took them out of the box that they were definitely different. I believe that they are golden males but I’m unsure and wanted an expert opinion. Here they they are. I attached 2 images of the different ones and then another juvenile Amherst male I believe for reference. Sorry for picture quality it’s hard getting a picture during the day! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 02B934B4-61CA-4D8F-91E7-754C168BD84A.jpeg
    02B934B4-61CA-4D8F-91E7-754C168BD84A.jpeg
    564.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 1BA9F7F2-40F0-4CC1-9512-C3035E3DABF9.jpeg
    1BA9F7F2-40F0-4CC1-9512-C3035E3DABF9.jpeg
    581.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 27B14BCB-1D68-45D0-8D26-9633E9EC6FCE.jpeg
    27B14BCB-1D68-45D0-8D26-9633E9EC6FCE.jpeg
    632.8 KB · Views: 5
Yes they are golden males. You should return them to the seller.
I am not sure about your juvi amherst either as the beak looks a bit too yellow. Do you got any side pictures and where the legs are shown?
Were they all from the same seller? Might be ''mutts'' then if he tried to pass them off as amherst. The golden males does look quite fine but the seller still tricked you if he sold them as amhersts and that is not OK.

If you look at the iris(around the eyes)the male will be blue or cream colored,the females are brown on both breeds.
In N.H.,Tony.

Yes they are golden males. You should return them to the seller.
I am not sure about your juvi amherst either as the beak looks a bit too yellow. Do you got any side pictures and where the legs are shown?
Were they all from the same seller? Might be ''mutts'' then if he tried to pass them off as amherst. The golden males does look quite fine but the seller still tricked you if he sold them as amhersts and that is not OK.
Thank a ton for the info and replies! I thought they were red goldens but wasn’t 100 percent sure. I ended up getting an Amherst trio and then red goldens were apparently a “mistake” so we are going to exchange or possibly pick up some hens for them. I haven’t quite decided yet.

Thank a ton for the info and replies! I thought they were red goldens but wasn’t 100 percent sure. I ended up getting an Amherst trio and then red goldens were apparently a “mistake” so we are going to exchange or possibly pick up some hens for them. I haven’t quite decided yet.
Whoever you bought them from is not a very experienced nor reputable breeder....if they don't know the difference between a male and female or whether or not they are Goldens or Amherst....I wouldn't trust them to be pure birds either...just saying!

Do you have pictures of the amherst trio aswell? I find it very strange that a '''breeder'' would mistake goldens and amhersts because when you got both of them it is not hard to tell which is which. And that makes me think he might be breeding them mixed in the same pen and therefore got no idea what is what. And that he couldn't even spot that they were males is also strange as the eyes had already changed colour.
As i said the last picture of your amherst looks suspect to me even if it's hard to tell from a picture like that. The beak just seems a bit too yellow. What colour is the legs? Does his body look overall more greyish than the 2 goldens or is he also very redishyellow tinged and there's no real difference when comparing their plumage colours?
Did you get to see how he kept his birds and how they looked like? If you do plan on going back to change/pickup more you should definetly take a look into the pens to see if they look pure (try check the females too) and are kept seperatly.

Back
Top Bottom