Help identifying duckling breeds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by peepers93, Aug 17, 2018.

1. peepers93

peepers93 Chirping

Mar 25, 2017
    Hey! So I couldn't resist picking up four ducklings from TSC yesterday. This is my first experience with ducks - I've only ever had chickens (in fact I gave the ducklings to my Silkie to raise - she just hatched some chicks, so I just snuck the ducklings in with them lol.) But I'm wondering if anyone could help figure out what breeds these guys are.

I'm assuming the yellow one is a Pekin, though of course I could very well be wrong lol. IMG_20180817_130809.jpg IMG_20180817_130837.jpg IMG_20180817_130655.jpg

Anna Ranieri likes this.
  2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    The yellow crested is likely a crested Pekin. The two in the bottom pic that stand up tall, if this is how they usually stand (I know curious ducks of all sorts tend to stand tall for photos) are runners, likely one chocolate colored and one fawn/white colored. The one with the eyeliner is either a rouen or a mallard and I always get confused which is which ;)

chickens really likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

If the ones in the last pic always stand tall they maybe Runners. Rouen and crested Pekin. Very precious little ones

peepers93 likes this.
  4. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    Australia
    My Coop
    The yellow one is a crested duck, the wild looking one could be a Rouen or a mallard and the two standing up straight are runners.

peepers93 and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Doesn’t Rouen have 2 eye stripes? Looks like 2 eye stripes. We need some Rouen experts or Mallard experts.

peepers93 and MillersFarm like this.
  6. Miss Lydia

peepers93 and MillersFarm like this.
  7. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    Rouen :) Mallards only have 1 eye line.

8. Jpat

Jpat Crowing

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    i miss having ducklings so bad

peepers93 and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. peepers93

peepers93 Chirping

Mar 25, 2017
    Thank you all! I appreciate the responses. I did a little bit of research before posting and apparently guessed correctly on all of them - the one I was questioning the most was the little black and yellow, I couldn't tell if it was a Mallard or a Rouen. As far as the two standing straight up in the last picture, I believe that's how they always stand. I'm definitely hoping they're Runners! I really want duck eggs and from what I've read it seems like they're great for egg production.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Runners are great little egg layers just make sure you provide needed calcium for them with Oyster shell as with all your layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: