Help identifying illness

craziekeiichi

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2016
Hi All,
I have a small flock of 11 hens and some are looking a little rough. I recently moved them to a new house where they can free range during the day (they were in an 8x8 coop with an 8x16 run under).
There is one hen in particular that is looking very bad. She also gets picked on A LOT! I have another coop that I can isolate her in if need be.
Any help identifying the issue so I can treat it accordingly would be greatly appreciated. Below is the best picture I could get.
Thanks!

Does the tissue in the affected area feel soft and raw? Maybe it was a wound of some kind or maybe the skin became irritated and then got infected. I agree with Loudawg11 that she should defiantly be separated until you determine the specific cause because diseases can easily spread to the other members of your flock. If she is acting normal, eating and pooping normal, then I would conclude that it most likely is not life threatening. I would recommend applying some Neosporin to the area and possibly giving her some electrolytes and vitamins. I hope everything works out for you!

Thanks for the feedback!
There aren't any vets where I live that will look at her :/
She eats/drinks normal. It looked like there was less of that stuff on her today. I'll put her in another coop tomorrow and hope she does alright alone. I may end up putting the two bullies in a different pen for a few days too when/if I introduce my sick girl back

I would start by giving her a bath in warm Epsom salts water and clean off all that gunk. It looks like it might be vent gleet which I think is a yeast infection. It definitely wants cleaning up though because it could encourage fly strike. After cleaning, give her abdomen a good examination/palpitation as sometimes swelling caused by fluid retention and or internal laying results in pressure on the gut which means that poop becomes fluid with mostly urates (the white part of poop) and because of the swelling it doesn't fall free of the vent but just runs down and soils them and builds up. Compare the way her abdomen feels with a normal hen. Also, check her weight and body condition.... does she feel unusually heavy or light, bloated or skinny compared to the other hens. Picking them off the roost at night is a good way to compare without having to chase them down.
Once you get her cleaned up. I would dry her thoroughly (a hair dryer on warm works well) and then apply some antiseptic ointment below the vent to sooth the skin and prevent more poop sticking. A nightly wipe and reapplication of ointment or Vaseline should help to keep her cleaner and more comfortable.

If you can post back on what you find as regards any swelling or wasting then we'll take it from there, but you could also research vent gleet....if I remember correctly, it will be a yellow discharge and smells bad I think.

They usually panic a bit at first when you put them into water. I find having a heavy towel to drape over the trug that I bath them in helps them to relax, but don't be tempted to leave her unattended, as you don't want her to drown.

Hopefully it is something that is easily fixed. It is a good sign that she still has a healthy appetite.

Regards

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom