Help Identifying Mites?

Potterygal27

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2022
Hello! I would love some help trying to identify whether or not this could be mites or possibly something else on our pullet. It looks almost like pepper sprinkled in her feathers. (This photo is of the feathers on the top of her low back). I did not see any movement but wondering if it’s mite or lice poop? I also checked her vent and neck and didn’t see anything there. Nothing on any of the other girls either. Maybe it’s dirt or debris but it’s been there a while? I’ve been checking regularly and first noticed this 5-7 days ago and it’s not changed since. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• FB94AA1F-A230-45FC-8D08-41B252F6016B.jpeg
    FB94AA1F-A230-45FC-8D08-41B252F6016B.jpeg
    560.6 KB · Views: 49
Do you have an ordinary magnifying lens? Maybe your kids have one. Or you have one in your junk drawer and have forgotten about it. Collect a few of those specs and examine them under magnification. If they are lice or mites, they will possess legs. Mites have eight of them. Lice each have a set of six.

You will also be able to tell if it's dirt or lice or mites under magnification. Bugs will move. Dirt, well.... Every chicken care kit should have a magnifying lens.

Do you have an ordinary magnifying lens? Maybe your kids have one. Or you have one in your junk drawer and have forgotten about it. Collect a few of those specs and examine them under magnification. If they are lice or mites, they will possess legs. Mites have eight of them. Lice each have a set of six.

You will also be able to tell if it's dirt or lice or mites under magnification. Bugs will move. Dirt, well.... Every chicken care kit should have a magnifying lens.
That’s a good idea! Thank you

Hello! I would love some help trying to identify whether or not this could be mites or possibly something else on our pullet. It looks almost like pepper sprinkled in her feathers. (This photo is of the feathers on the top of her low back). I did not see any movement but wondering if it’s mite or lice poop? I also checked her vent and neck and didn’t see anything there. Nothing on any of the other girls either. Maybe it’s dirt or debris but it’s been there a while? I’ve been checking regularly and first noticed this 5-7 days ago and it’s not changed since. Thanks in advance!
I couldn't see the photo, but if it did have mites or lice you would have probably seen then crawling around, and also if you picked the hen up with mites, the mites would get on you also. I know this for a fact and it has been a problem where I live at. But if ever you have mites your other hens will probably have them also. We alway have to give our hens and rooster a bath with a mite and lice solution mixed in water. And then have to spray the coop down really well. More than likely it will have to be done more than once. This is a late post, sorry, not on here very much. Just when I get an email from the Backyardchickens group.

Back
Top Bottom