Help identifying my flock

Thank you to everyone for your help! I appreciate the information, I still have a lot to learn but at least now I can say I have learned something about my flock
thumbsup.gif

If they're crowing, they are likely roosters. Only older hens or very dominant hens tend to crow.

Perennial generalization there, but the hens I've had which have crowed have not been old nor dominant.

Not trying to start some kind of pointless argument, just pointing out that my experiences have not followed that golden rule that is usually recited regarding crowing hens.

Best wishes.

Perennial generalization there, but the hens I've had which have crowed have not been old nor dominant.

Not trying to start some kind of pointless argument, just pointing out that my experiences have not followed that golden rule that is usually recited regarding crowing hens.

Best wishes.

No argument intended, but I think your case is by far the exception rather than the rule (which is why I said, "almost always" in my post). I've been raising chickens for 50 years and I've never had a hen crow.

No argument intended, but I think your case is by far the exception rather than the rule (which is why I said, "almost always" in my post). I've been raising chickens for 50 years and I've never had a hen crow.

I was responding to the person I quoted (Wyandottes7); I did observe you allowed for exceptions to the rule in your post by your wording. So no, no argument intended nor even logically possible.

I agree, my 'case' is probably pretty rare, but I've heard of many others with the same experiences so it's not that rare at all... And yet, pretty regularly on this forum, someone says 'only old hens crow' or some other such universal statement, which is obviously just not true, so, to assist in depicting the broader spectrum of reality, I share my experience, lest some newbie read that global statement and think that any of their experiences which fall outside that apparent law are unheard of or incredibly rare.

Not common, yes, but not super-rare either. I know people are just repeating what they've been told and/or found true in their experience; I'm doing the same. It'd be pointless to argue about different experiences, lol, nobody's experience negates anybody else's.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom