Help identifying possible illness

BobbieB7

Chirping
Mar 2, 2021
Rhode Island USA 🇺🇸 Zone 6b
Hi I was cleaning poo tray today and noticed diarrhea in two two roosting spots and this blood(?) in another “normal”!poo.
I have 6 Ladies that all appear healthy. They do free range about 1-2 hours a day. They were all out and about doing their thing today.
What could this be from?
Sorry about yucky photos.
I use sand in my poop box
Broken down horse bedding pellets on floor of coop and in the run. Thank you

Attachments

• E1B4AB8C-135E-4B0E-BC1E-7DE8A2C90481.jpeg
    E1B4AB8C-135E-4B0E-BC1E-7DE8A2C90481.jpeg
    596.9 KB · Views: 3
  • E784D916-1803-4A8D-BF17-9B3BBD1BAB14.jpeg
    E784D916-1803-4A8D-BF17-9B3BBD1BAB14.jpeg
    786.9 KB · Views: 1
1 year in March so 8-9 mos.
I did look for worms. Don’t see anything moving in any droppings
They're not always present in droppings. Most cases it's the microscopic eggs that are present. But a fecal float done by a vet will either confirm, or rule it out.

Depends on their age and size. The older the hens are, the less worms will effect them. Probably true for cocci too. So if your hens are fairly old and not losing weight, probably not a worm problem.

It isnt a normal dropping but maybe they ate something that day. Definitely next time grab a twig and dig around in the dropping lookong for worms.

Also i treat my hens every six months or so just to clean out the infestations. Often times they pass worms, but show no signs up to that day, except maybe a little lower weight.

Edit: i saw you said they are 9 months. Good time to do a deworming if you never had to do one before.

I also deworm my appropriate aged chickens every six months. A deworming might help. You can also administer Corid in case it is Cocci. Both the dewormer and corid can be given to the whole flock, and even if your chicken doesn’t have these things the medicine won’t hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom