Help Identifying: Possible Prolapse?

Demosthine

Songster
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Hello All.

So, I'm extremely knew to actually having chickens. We bought our first two last week and I just added one today. I didn't look over the chick well enough before I bought her and noticed tonight that she has a problem with her vent area. I haven't been able to confirm it, but I guess it resembles prolapse. The swelling appears to be above the vent, though, so I'm not entirely sure that's it. It is not really red, scabby or gross, either, like prolapse is usually described. Maybe it's a very early case?

She's a Barred Rock and about a week or two old. All of the feathers are missing around the vent, but that's probably from the other chicks picking on her at the hatchery or feed store. She's eating and drinking well, has been readily accepted by the first two chicks, is pooping fine and is very energetic.

Reading on prolapse so far, I am planning on having my wife clean it and try to push it back in this morning before she goes to work and then put some honey on it, as recommended in numerous other posts here. We don't keep Preparation H on hand, but we do have some excellent raw, unfiltered honey.

I apologize for the poor photo, but I couldn't get my phone to take a better shot. Hopefully it's clear enough to help, though.

Thanks ahead of time.

Looks okay to me. Prolapse typically occurs in hens or pullets who are laying, not chicks. I have never heard of a chick with prolapse. It is possible that missing feathers came off if "poopy butt" was pulled off, but all in all, I don;t see anything that looks out of the normal.

That's very good to hear. The missing feathers didn't concern me near as much as the seemingly bulge above the vent. Since all the other chicks were furry, I had no idea what they look like underneath. I'll just keep a close eye on her and report back if any problems develop. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom