Help Identifying Trail Cam Picture

Raccoon.

Must say, it's ridiculous how much time I've spent studying this picture! I don't even remember why, is this critter getting into the coop?

No the animal is not getting into the coop, hopefully my coop is predator proof.
fl.gif
I was just curious if anyone could tell what it was because I thought it might've looked like a bobcat but wasn't sure.

It's in motion so the blurring on its limbs and torso make it appear fatter than it probably is. It looks like a fox to me judging my the forelimb and the variance in coloration. If it were a raccoon it would have a shorter forelimb and a more haunched appearance. If it were a bobcat there would be much different markings on its side/belly and rear limb. Of course it could be.....Chupacabra!
big_smile.png

I thought it looked like one but I don't think it would be a Bob Cat, I live in upstate NY and I have never seen a Bob Cat around here. Maybe a stray domestic cat? I have already got one of those. (Which I took to the SPCA)

I live in upstate new york. St. Lawrence county. I have a bobcat living in the woods right next to my house, Ive seen it in the neighbors field, and seen its tracks, It was outside my house one night crying. They are kind of scary to listen to at night :-/ He hasnt gone after my chickens yet though. Thank the lord.

Yup a Gray, you can tell by the dark strip on the tail and no white tip--size is tough on game cams but it is smaller than a Red. I've found they pretty much leave my adult birds alone. Maybe they are just a little to big for them to tackle. Red's on the other hand are a different story.

Last edited:
Yup a Gray, you can tell by the dark strip on the tail and no white tip--size is tough on game cams but it is smaller than a Red. I've found they pretty much leave my adult birds alone. Maybe they are just a little to big for them to tackle. Red's on the other hand are a different story.

I have grays in my area as well. They also do not seem to target my birds even prior to having new dog in place. They seem inclined to stay more in the woods where my chickens at present do not venture. For me I see more grays in or near town, especially along roadways with dense groves of red cedar trees which to me do not seem all that productive in terms of critters to eat. Same places also have lots of barred owls but not so many great horned owls. Where they hunt the understory is very dense while the reds seem to work the more open areas.

Back
Top Bottom