Help IDing this chick?

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Okay, so I got this chick from rural king, as a golden comet pullet. Coloring seemed right for that at the time.

Now, Polly is 4 weeks old and really acts like a little cockerel. Very brave, runs up and chest bumps my hand whenever I'm messing with the brooder; also makes the little special "I found food, come get it" sound like my older roos do.

Looking at "her" legs, they are quite pink, as opposed to the yellow legs that comets normally have. Color wise, I feel she should be more reddish and less buff by this point.

I'm now wondering if I may actually have a buff Orpington cockerel? Thoughts?

IMG_4293.jpeg
IMG_4301.jpeg
IMG_4298.jpeg

I'm now wondering if I may actually have a buff Orpington cockerel?
Probably yes, based on what you say and the photos.

Looking at "her" legs, they are quite pink, as opposed to the yellow legs that comets normally have. Color wise, I feel she should be more reddish and less buff by this point.
Both of those are very good points, and yes they do seem right for a Buff Orpington but not a Golden Comet. I notice the chick has a single comb, which would be right for either breed, but the size & color at age 4 weeks is more right for a male than a female.

Thanks all! Just my luck lol. Leave it to me to buy a sexlinked pullet and STILL end up with a roo 🙃🤣🤣

The interesting thing is, none of the various chick bins were labeled as buff Orpingtons, much less the bin he came from 🤷🏼‍♀️ oh well

I'll love him anyway, just another one for my bachelor flock. Maybe one day I'll have more hens than roos 😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom