Help! I'm just the babysitter!

Gosh darnit. ..he's panting abd breathing heavy. The chicks hang out ON him. I think he's trying to quack for the first time too! It's a new sound.I feel like I want to move him somewhere else. Its warmer in the garage than it is in the house. I feel like he's too big for the box, and too hot. I need tips on how to move him into his own space.. With the girl, because they like to be together.

Keep us updated, especially if he starts doing it again. He might be nervous also because (no offense) you are not momma. Now that I know about the shivering, I'm thinking nerves, ducks can be skittish and nervous, I have 2 khaki campbells that were holy cripes kinds of nervous as babies. They still aren't all that brave unless my back is turned and then the one little snot will chase me down and yank on my pant leg until I turn around, then she runs for the hills quacking like I'm coming after her with a butcher knife! haha (just trying to get you to smile a bit with my silly duck )

my duck does that too!! :lol::lol:

Owners are not able to come home. . The ducks are housed with chickens in a big box with food, water, bedding, the whole bit. She showed me how to put them in the tub, which they love, so i did this afternoon. It's still spring and chilly here so they have a heat lamp. The two black ducks will be put in their own house when owners return. He's not breathing through his mouth anymore. Poo is yellow green, same as other day whew owner was here. I guess i could put him back in tub without water to see how hes walking. Girl owner wanted to wait to get all of the birds after trip, but husband went ahead and got them without thinking about being gone for a week... Ugh.
So these are all fairly young birds in a box? I am imagining it is a brooder set up until they can get to their permanent housing? Are the turkeys housed in the box too? Might be too many birds in a small area. Ducks can get over heated.
It sounds like the owners should have put off getting birds until they got back from vacation.
I accidentally killed fish one time because I was not given specific directions on a salt water tank that I had no experience with prior.
You are doing the best you can with the situation.

Gosh darnit. ..he's panting abd breathing heavy. The chicks hang out ON him. I think he's trying to quack for the first time too! It's a new sound.I feel like I want to move him somewhere else. Its warmer in the garage than it is in the house. I feel like he's too big for the box, and too hot. I need tips on how to move him into his own space.. With the girl, because they like to be together.

If they are laying on top of each other it sounds like they are cold, are all of the birds piling up like that? or just the 2 ducks?

I'm going to agree with the others. Ducks grow much faster than chicks, and they also don't need quite as much heat. It would be awesome if you could move them. Blame it on us, if the owners get mad lol
Just try to duplicate the setup, if you have spare stuff. If not, you can make a duck waterer from a milk jug, or butter bowl with holes cut strategically. Feed can go in any kind of bowl or plate for a while.

can you post a pic of all the birds and the current setup?

Did the owner leave any niacin supplements for you to add to the ducks water or feed? that can be niacin capsules or Brewers yeast or Nutritional yeast leg weakness can be from a niacin deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom