Help! I'm just the babysitter!

Knbc

In the Brooder
May 17, 2018
So I'm babysitting younger birds, chickens, turkeys, and four ducks. There are two black ducks that have lost their baby fuzz and are growing like weeds. Today one of the black ducks won't stand up very much and is breathing through his mouth. Doesn't seem right. PLEASE HELP!

So I'm babysitting younger birds, chickens, turkeys, and four ducks. There are two black ducks that have lost their baby fuzz and are growing like weeds. Today one of the black ducks won't stand up very much and is breathing through his mouth. Doesn't seem right. PLEASE HELP!

Someone more experienced than I will be along soon but I wanted to touch base and ask a few questions in the meantime. Is the duck hot? Being black he may be overheated if your temps are high. Is he eating and drinking? What does his poo look like? (green, brown, white, yellow, watery, mucousy?) How long has this been going on? Are the owners in a position to come home if necessary? Has he been outside loose unattended where he could have gotten into something he shouldn't have? Are the other birds acting normally?

Owners are not able to come home. . The ducks are housed with chickens in a big box with food, water, bedding, the whole bit. She showed me how to put them in the tub, which they love, so i did this afternoon. It's still spring and chilly here so they have a heat lamp. The two black ducks will be put in their own house when owners return. He's not breathing through his mouth anymore. Poo is yellow green, same as other day whew owner was here. I guess i could put him back in tub without water to see how hes walking. Girl owner wanted to wait to get all of the birds after trip, but husband went ahead and got them without thinking about being gone for a week... Ugh.

Owners are not able to come home. . The ducks are housed with chickens in a big box with food, water, bedding, the whole bit. She showed me how to put them in the tub, which they love, so i did this afternoon. It's still spring and chilly here so they have a heat lamp. The two black ducks will be put in their own house when owners return. He's not breathing through his mouth anymore. Poo is yellow green, same as other day whew owner was here. I guess i could put him back in tub without water to see how hes walking. Girl owner wanted to wait to get all of the birds after trip, but husband went ahead and got them without thinking about being gone for a week... Ugh.

I agree that he may have been hot. Did you put them in the tub before or after the panting started?

He started panting after bath, water was warm/cool. It's chilly here. I noticed he wasn't standing well before bath, but i thought it was because he didnt want me to catch them, even though they purk up when walking to the bath... Cuz they know=). When he was panting he was shivering a little but seems fine now. Il'l watch him through the night. Thank you all. I really don't want be labeled a Bad duck sitter=)

He started panting after bath, water was warm/cool. It's chilly here. I noticed he wasn't standing well before bath, but i thought it was because he didnt want me to catch them, even though they purk up when walking to the bath... Cuz they know=). When he was panting he was shivering a little but seems fine now. Il'l watch him through the night. Thank you all. I really don't want be labeled a Bad duck sitter=)

Keep us updated, especially if he starts doing it again. He might be nervous also because (no offense) you are not momma. Now that I know about the shivering, I'm thinking nerves, ducks can be skittish and nervous, I have 2 khaki campbells that were holy cripes kinds of nervous as babies. They still aren't all that brave unless my back is turned and then the one little snot will chase me down and yank on my pant leg until I turn around, then she runs for the hills quacking like I'm coming after her with a butcher knife! haha (just trying to get you to smile a bit with my silly duck )

Back
Top Bottom