Help! I'm looking for a dog breed that....

So this is a somewhat extreme example (shelter pic) but here's kind of what I mean in terms of hair/skin:

canvas (17).png

Hair loss - could be something as simple as allergies/alopecia (more common if they're old), or as bad as scabies.

Pot-belly in puppies - probably parasites

Excessive dandruff - Skin problems of some sort.

Yes, but usually there are some signs (excessive clingy-ness, screaming and barking when you walk away from the cage, etc). If you find one that's crate trained that can take some of the stress out, just crate them when you leave.

Yes to all of the above, but I would be concerned about pain if whining or jerking away.
What's the line between bonding with a person and excessive clingy-ness? I'm thinking of this because until recently, a close family friend had this wonderful yellow lab that went everywhere with her (aside the basement, he was scared of it) around the house, and was always at her side or at least in the same room, and would always stay close when outside. However, he didn't have separation anxiety and was absolutely fine being left at home.

What's the line between bonding with a person and excessive clingy-ness? I'm thinking of this because until recently, a close family friend had this wonderful yellow lab that went everywhere with her (aside the basement, he was scared of it) around the house, and was always at her side or at least in the same room, and would always stay close when outside. However, he didn't have separation anxiety and was absolutely fine being left at home.
I think the line is if the dog can manage without you being with them always. Some dogs are clingy, and that’s okay. The issues come when they are unable to handle being alone.

Try a Corgi. They might be seen as lap dogs but they are herding dogs! They were bred to be so short to bite and nip at the ankles to wandering livestock to make them speed up to catch up with the herd!

5. Calm? Jack russel? um. I don't know if I believe that, but if its true, seems like a good fit.
I just want to say that I've met 2 jack russels (in completely different places) who were the calmest, sweetest, cuddliest things ever. I love our dog but she is excitable and doesn't like to be cuddled. I would have gladly taken those jack russels home with me if they didn't already have awesome families.

I just want to say that I've met 2 jack russels (in completely different places) who were the calmest, sweetest, cuddliest things ever. I love our dog but she is excitable and doesn't like to be cuddled. I would have gladly taken those jack russels home with me if they didn't already have awesome families.
I think it depends a lot on the individual dog and I also think a lot of people don’t properly exercise or train their dogs or perhaps even encourage that hyper state, even if it’s unintentionally. Most dogs don’t just naturally settle. It has to be taught.

Back
Top Bottom