Help! I'm looking for a dog breed that....

Pics
This is a tough one... most longer furred dog breeds have more energy as they were herding dogs... most breeds with medium energy are hounds and therefore have prey drive... Have you considered beagles? I've heard they can get along well with cats, they don't have crazy energy, they're good family dogs (they don't bond to one person), and they are medium in size. One of my favorite dogs is a mini labradoodle, so I have nothing against the dogs themselves, but I don't usually recommend one. First of all, think why somebody would breed a doodle. It can't be for love of the breed, because they're hybrids that can have any mix of their parents genetics, and it can't be for a specific task because again, they're hybrids. The only reason would be money, and if you're looking to make money from breeding they would need to cut corners: no pedigree, no papers, no shows/competitions to show the capability of the dog, not as many health tests ('vet checks' and 'health tests' are not the same thing), etc. They also, as I mentioned above, can have any personality of their parents, which means that they could act just like a poodle, and look like one too, or they could act just like a lab, but no matter what the breeder claims, there are no guarantees. Oh! Oh! This gives me a chance to recommend a very underappreciated dog breed I've been dying to recommend since I first heard of it: lagotto romagnolo. They look a lot like doodles, are hypoallergenic, have enough energy but not a ton, like swimming, are great family dogs, and are essentially a purebred version of a doodle!

Sorry, this is long and probably full of unnessecary advice.

Collies? Might be a bit big. It depends on the collie I think but both of ours are pretty chill and don’t need a ton of extra exercise. If you get a smooth coat the hair is short and they don’t shed as much. Our older one (Beau) is more attached to my younger sister because he belongs to her first of all, and because she has spent the most time with him. The younger one (Charlie) is our older one’s son, and he loves everyone. Ours don’t like to swim, and neither does Charlie’s mom and sister. If you decide on a collie get one from a breeder than breeds for healthy dogs, NOT show dogs. If they breed them to be perfect collie specimens then they can have hip and eye problems. Our older dog is a stud dog and the female he breeds with is more typical collie, but her owners focus on healthy dogs rather than perfect dogs. I’ve had lots of experience with four different adult collies and none of them chase cats, all four live with/have lived with cats and been fine. They don’t drool at all. They do like to bark but if there is nothing to bark at, they won’t. If they want something they can whine a fair amount but they are very smart and can be taught not to do that.

Collies are one of the smartest breeds of dog and can be trained very easily on an electric fence. We had to get a stronger collar for Beau because he kept running through the fence, but now both are very respectful of it. I can see why some people might be opposed but it is an easier solution to a regular fence. Collies need to be able to go out and run, unlike a small dog like a Chihuahua which you let out and don’t leave by itself. They are VERY fast runners and will chase things that they see, so some type of fence is pretty important to have.

Its pit bull

and the APBT is not a pet, game bred, working, they are not for the faint of heart. Often with dog agression issues...
im sorry but that is just not really true i have had multiple pits and they a fairly easy going do not require a lot of training never had ANY sort of agression mine have fought off pretadors protceting my chickens

Back
Top Bottom