Help! I'm looking for a dog breed that....

Pics
English Shepherd. (aka best dogs ever). They aren't a very common breed, so you might have to drive a ways to find a breeder, but definitely worth it.
-60 pounds average
-Not super fluffy, but long fur
-I have never noticed any excessive drooling
-Not yippy
-Not hyperactive, but active. (I would recommend having land for them to run around on. Once we got our dog fixed, then he chilled out significantly)
-I have never had a cat around my dog, but if you trained it, than it would probably leave it alone
-Great family dog.
-No health problems that I'm aware of
-Isn't a huge fan of swimming, but doesn't mind wading in a lake

http://www.eshepherd.org/breeders-2/

English Shepherd. (aka best dogs ever). They aren't a very common breed, so you might have to drive a ways to find a breeder, but definitely worth it.
-60 pounds average
-Not super fluffy, but long fur
-I have never noticed any excessive drooling
-Not yippy
-Not hyperactive, but active. (I would recommend having land for them to run around on. Once we got our dog fixed, then he chilled out significantly)
-I have never had a cat around my dog, but if you trained it, than it would probably leave it alone
-Great family dog.
-No health problems that I'm aware of
-Isn't a huge fan of swimming, but doesn't mind wading in a lake

http://www.eshepherd.org/breeders-2/

Very prone to dog reactivity, like most herding breeds. Not really for a person who doesn't want to deal with that

I know somebody on insta @thesupershepherds who is very open about her reactivity journey with her English shepherd

Last edited:
English Shepherd
-Great family dog.

A friend of mine got an English Shepherd puppy. As it grew up over the next few months, they began to have issues with it growling at their small children, especially around food but also in other areas. He also became defensive toward visitors, and that was not due to lack of exposure--the family had many visitors, many times a week, and the dog became less tolerant as he grew up, instead of loving everyone the way dogs of some other breeds typically do.

I recognize that one dog is a very small sample size, and I'm not asking for advice about their problem, just observing that the problem did happen.

I got through 24 pages so far - so I may have missed this one, but have you looked for at Golden Cocker Retrievers.
We had one growing up and he was amazing. He was born under the kitchen sink on the same day I was, lol. Dad used him a bit for bird hunting, but us 5 girls just loved that dog to death. He would allow us to put doll dresses on him, he would wear bonnets, and even lay on his back in the doll stroller for rides around the neighborhood.
Not sure if they are available in your area or not. Its a cross between a Golden Retriever and a Cocker Spaniel, usually from a hunting line of cockers.
Ours had shorter hair, with light feathering down his legs.

I got through 24 pages so far - so I may have missed this one, but have you looked for at Golden Cocker Retrievers.
We had one growing up and he was amazing. He was born under the kitchen sink on the same day I was, lol. Dad used him a bit for bird hunting, but us 5 girls just loved that dog to death. He would allow us to put doll dresses on him, he would wear bonnets, and even lay on his back in the doll stroller for rides around the neighborhood.
Not sure if they are available in your area or not. Its a cross between a Golden Retriever and a Cocker Spaniel, usually from a hunting line of cockers.
Ours had shorter hair, with light feathering down his legs.
I have not heard of them/looked at them- might just me not knowing things, but it kind of sounds like that cross wouldn't be very healthy?
They sound ADORABLE, though!

I'm sorry, I have not read anything but the first and last page. I wanted to say two things. One is that any working, hunting dog is bred to have a lot of sustained energy. In other words it takes a lot of exercise to use up all their energy. The herding breeds usually, besides the energy, need to have a job to do, or they will not be happy. You probably need to research for a dog with low energy. That means that they will be ok to go on walks, but when they get back to the house will be content to lay around and not require a lot of attention. The most important thing is to research, research, research. People who don't do that often end of with dogs they don't want because they didn't realize things about their personalities that are not always known. If you would like a breed, you can still rescue a dog. There are many rescue groups for particular breeds.

Back
Top Bottom