Help! I'm looking for a dog breed that....

Pics
***PSA: We are not adopting a shelter dog. While it is a wonderful thing to do, it is not the right choice for our family. If you do not have a suggestion of an actual dog breed that fits the criteria below (not just a breed that you like or you have) I would love to hear it, but we are not in the positon to adopt.***
My family is totally in the market for a dog. In the past, we've always had, and LOVEd, golden retrievers, but our current house and yard setup just,,,,,does not work for them. We can only sort of maybe fence our yard, and my parents are opposed to electric fences.
We've loved the temperament of goldens, if that gives you a good idea of what we're looking for. The ideal dog would:
-be smaller than a golden, but nothing excessively tiny (french bulldog, chihuahua)
-have fur that isn't much shorter than that of a labrador
-would not drool a lot
-NOT YIPPY. THIS IS A MUST.
-must be active enough to take on walks, hikes, etc (not excessively, but we don't want a couch potato)
-should not be any more active than a golden retriever, in fact, preferably would be less active
-nothing that would constantly chase a cat around
-nothing that would bond exclusively to one person and ignore everybody else
-nothing with excessive health problems (bulldog, pug, etc)
-preferably, but not necessarily, enjoys swimming
What I've come up with so far is:

-cardigan corgis
-pembroke welsh corgis
I'm not sure how much my parents like corgis, but they seem to be very good temperament-wise.
-eurasiers
The problems with these is that my dad doesn't like the spitz look, and they're very difficult to find breeders for.
Other, more common spitz breeds, are more energetic than we're looking for.
-cocker spaniels
I haven't pitched these to my parents yet.
We have a Border Collie, her temper is great, she tolerates kids well, and she doesn't usually chase the cat (when she does she is playing, never being aggressive). She is great with the chickens (they are heading style dogs, she was never trained to herd tho). Her favorite thing to do is play fetch and swim, does great on a leash. She has a skin problem that makes her really itchy, I think it is a breed thing, Omega chews helped. She might be a bit activer for what you are looking for, but that is helpful for hiking lol.
2020-06-27_19-43-42.JPG
2020-06-25_12-11-37.JPG
2020-06-25_12-06-57.5000000.JPG
DJI_0071.JPG
DJI_0112.JPG

We have a Border Collie, her temper is great, she tolerates kids well, and she doesn't usually chase the cat (when she does she is playing, never being aggressive). She is great with the chickens (they are heading style dogs, she was never trained to herd tho). Her favorite thing to do is play fetch and swim, does great on a leash. She has a skin problem that makes her really itchy, I think it is a breed thing, Omega chews helped. She might be a bit activer for what you are looking for, but that is helpful for hiking lol. View attachment 2566645View attachment 2566649View attachment 2566650View attachment 2566652View attachment 2566653
Is she from a show breeder or a working line breeder?

Sorry to interrogate you, but how much exercise do you give her each day? Do you do obedience classes or any sport with her?
She is walked 5+ miles in a week, plus allowed access to 5 acres of land whenever she wants. She doesn't do any sport, we tried dock diving but she doesn't like to jump into water, she likes to walk in. She is trained the basic commands, sit, lay, stay, etc. Plus 5 kids to play with. She is extremely smart and easy to train. We were concerned when we got her becasue we are not THAT active, but she does well even just playing short play times, or training sessions, and camping.
20170603_145159.JPG
20170828_105647.JPG
20170623_113533.JPG
20170623_113508.JPG

I think that they're too high maintenance for us, but my mom had asked me to check them out.
I’ve only ever owned one schnauzer. He was a smaller sized standard if that makes sense. He was hinestly one of the best dogs we have ever had. He barked when there was something or someone to bark at. We had quail, pheasants, and rabbits back then and he mostly ignored them. I wish I could have another just like ol Buddy.

We have a Border Collie, her temper is great, she tolerates kids well, and she doesn't usually chase the cat (when she does she is playing, never being aggressive). She is great with the chickens (they are heading style dogs, she was never trained to herd tho). Her favorite thing to do is play fetch and swim, does great on a leash. She has a skin problem that makes her really itchy, I think it is a breed thing, Omega chews helped. She might be a bit activer for what you are looking for, but that is helpful for hiking lol. View attachment 2566645View attachment 2566649View attachment 2566650View attachment 2566652View attachment 2566653
She’s adorable!! Just out of curiosity, is yours affectionate or very bonded to you or does she seem more obsessed with the task and work, etc. ? Cause I’ve heard they can sometimes just want to work for themselves or only happy when herding, etc.

I would definitely say Labrador retrievers. They mirror their owners energy (when I want to go be active outdoors, they do to. When I am sick and am resting doing nothing, all they want is to sit their next to you). Not to mention they have webbed feet and LOOOOVE swimming. They love everyone and never exclusive to one person. I have 3 and have never seen them drool. Except for when I have them sit and wait in front of their food for a few seconds before eating:lol:. As long as you get them as a puppy you can train them around any animals so they won't chase them around.

Back
Top Bottom