Help! I'm looking for a dog breed that....

Pics
Quick update:
My parents have apparently changed their mind about shelter dogs? Regardless, we're looking at a couple:
1616271920642.png

1616271941454.png

1616271958435.png

1616274203293.png

1616274222264.png

1616274234637.png

In order, those are:
-australian shepherd mix
-brussels griffon x labrador
-australian cattle dog mix
-labradorxcorgi
-jack russell terrier
-labrador mix

In general, which do you think would be the best one for us?
If anyone's interested, my preference goes:
1. australian shepherd mix by a LOT, I love this dog, he's perfect and I love him
2. jack russell terrier
3. brussels griffon x labrador
4.labrador x corgi
5. australian cattle dog mix
6. labrador mix

All of these dogs are younger than two years old, either say that they're good with cats or don't mention cats, and all say that they're energetic but also enjoy being calm and with their people inside. Some also say that either the dog does some agility work or would be good for it, which is great because I've been really interested in doing agility work with a dog.

I work with dogs in my career (medical side) so I may be able to provide a little insight. All dogs are different, of course. Also, mixed breed dogs will vary in personality a lot depending which breed they most took after. My mixed breed dog has a lot of breeds I would not personally own in him, but he mostly looks like and acts like a lab/ACD mix so it works out well.

"Good for agility work" will totally depend on the shelter/rescue as to what that means. Could mean biddable and easy to train with good energy, could be "this dog has way too much energy for the average owner".
If you want true agility, you're talking a higher energy breed generally. Make sure you really like agility, and are willing to wear the dog out daily. A dog with too much pent up energy is more likely to misbehave.

If you say you want golden level of activity or less I'd avoid the Jack Russel terrier. Most (but not all) are bounce-off-the-walls energy and have some really strong prey-drive. I've seen a lot with anxiety issues as well. The ones that I've met that weren't super high energy were fat couch potatoes but still had to be muzzled for nail trims and blood draws and the like.

Australian Shepherds for me also fall into the anxiety category. Them, Border Collies, Huskies, and German Shepherds tend to be the most...twitchy? and anxious consistently at my workplace. A well trained one is great though; they're super smart dogs. Depends on how much experience you have. They do need to be worked (mentally and physically).

Lab mixes are either amazing or absolutely crazy. Again, needs good training! But I do have a partiality to retrievers because most are pretty biddable and willing to learn. They stereotypically tend to be a "love everyone" sort of breed. Most enjoy swimming. Some drool a bit, but it's not bad.

ACDs are a more serious breed, but if you bond with them and train them well they're good dogs. They are a more serious herding breed, bred to herd cattle. Some are more prone to aggression though.

I have no experience with Brussels Griffons.

I don't see any dogs there that really look like corgis/corgi mixes (which do they say is corgi mix?). Corgis are very cute, but I'm not a fan of the personality. They were also bred to herd cattle. Their bark is annoying to me and they're loud if you do get a bark-y one. Also a breed that is a "proceed with caution" for me at work.

Some things I'd do if you go see them all again:
- Will the dog eventually settle (lie down, etc) or does it never stop going? If you play with it for 5 minutes, then stop playing, does it wind down quickly?

- Does it pay attention to you if you call it? How long does the attention stay on you? Will the dog come to you?

- Touch everything if you are allowed to (be cautious though in case the dog doesn't like it). Pet the back, head, stomach, gently grab the ears, paws, tail. How does the dog react?

- Give the dog a bowl of food. Can you pet the dog while he is eating? Can you take away the food/bowl? Can you take away a toy?

- How is the dog on a leash? Around other dogs? Any severe prey-drive?

Just as an add-on, these are breeds I would personally avoid or be aware of certain issues (either because they're not for me or I've had bad experiences in general). Keep in mind, I work at a vet's office - we poke and prod. I'm sure some of these dogs are better at home.:

- Yorkshire terriers. I've just been scratched by too many for nail trims. The ones below 4 pounds that I've met have been worse in personality (aggressive) than the larger ones. Dachshunds are also hit-or-miss, but I do love them (the good ones, anyway).

- Huskies. None of the ones I've met have been sufficiently worked or trained. I'm sure if they were worked more they would be better behaved, but it is difficult to sufficiently work a dog with that stamina.

- German Shepherds. After like 12 weeks old they are generally very, very difficult to handle for procedures. 90% of them need to be muzzled because they'll bite us for even vaccines. They are very protective of their owners and do best away from them when being treated.

- Rottweilers. Go from 0 to 60 too quickly in aggression. Pit-bulls (Americans, Staffordshires, etc) also sometimes fall into this category for me. I have yet to met a nice Chow-Chow. Shar-Peis to a lesser extent, but their hairs are barbed and really irritating so I wouldn't own them for that alone.

- Schnauzers. Too bark-y, will launch themselves off an exam table without a thought, and a lot will bite if given the chance. Looking at a french fry will give them pancreatitis (slight exaggeration, lol).

- Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Vislas, Weimaraners - Too much energy for me.

- 50/50's, might own depending on the dog; they're either awful or awesome with little in-between: chihuahuas, shih tzus, dachshunds, beagles, retrievers/mixes, aussies/border collies, terriers in general. Boston terriers are about the only terriers I generally really like, but they can have breathing issues.

St. Bernards, Mastiffs - I dislike excessive drooling.

Would not own due to health issues:
- Bulldogs (English or French) / Pugs - Breathing issues. Also can get infections between their skin folds. Old pugs are prone to hyperkeratosis (cosmetic).
- Oodles/Doodles - Terrible fur matting if not kept up properly. Ear infections (otitis externa usually) galore. Might help if the owners plucked/cleaned the dog's ears regularly.
- A lot of Westies I've met have had skin issues/allergies.

Would own in-spite of health issues:
Boxers - Allergies, mast cell tumors
Golden Retrievers - Cancer, cancer, cancer, sometimes allergies, and prone to hip dysplasia (especially if from parents with bad/poor hips). You want the parents to have good/excellent OFA hip records. The final results should be from after 2 years of age. Also a heart check, and testing for a few specific genetic diseases.

My favorite dogs in general if it's a "good" one/I would own:
Goldens
Labs
Boxers
Dobermans
Standard Poodles
Rough Collies
Good old friendly "mystery mutt" if I like the personality
Dachshunds
Shelties (the less bark-y ones)
Nice chihuahuas...rarer but the nice ones are good dogs.
Italian Greyhounds (don't see them much and they're a pain for blood draws because they're wiggly and more prone to bruising and hematomas (because of the wiggling and thin skin) but the ones I've met have been nice.

Glad to answer any specific questions. If anyone has one of these breeds I dislike and thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread...your mileage may vary? :)

And for fun, looking/considering nothing else but pictures:
#1 would be something I'd be cautious with at first at work. (brown dog with longer fur)
#2 looks like the sweet but crazy type (wiry haired one)
#3 looks like the shy/cowering/will pee on the floor type. Will either be sweet or fear-aggressive. (collie looking one)
#4 looks like my dog (pit/ACD/lab/G-Shep/etc mix). I like the eye-contact. Seems potentially biddable. Maybe a bit of a goofball at times. (black slightly fuzzy one)
#5 Anxious. Very anxious. Has not been worked enough and has a bunch of pent-up energy. (JRT)
#6 Somewhat unsure, may make for a good dog though. (lab/pit mix looking one with black short fur)

Last edited:
I wont suggest a idea because it comes down to the individual dog. because they are shelter dogs, I highly doubt they are the breed(s) they are listed as, plus each dog is different, plus who knows their breeding, they might not even hold true to the breed traits of their pedigree.

I don't see any dogs there that really look like corgis/corgi mixes (which do they say is corgi mix?). Corgis are very cute, but I'm not a fan of the personality. They were also bred to herd cattle. Their bark is annoying to me and they're loud if you do get a bark-y one. Also a breed that is a "proceed with caution" for me at work.

#4 in black_cat's post was the "labradorxcorgi."

#4 looks like my dog (pit/ACD/lab/G-Shep/etc mix). I like the eye-contact. Seems potentially biddable. Maybe a bit of a goofball at times. (black slightly fuzzy one)

I work with dogs in my career (medical side) so I may be able to provide a little insight. All dogs are different, of course. Also, mixed breed dogs will vary in personality a lot depending which breed they most took after. My mixed breed dog has a lot of breeds I would not personally own in him, but he mostly looks like and acts like a lab/ACD mix so it works out well.

"Good for agility work" will totally depend on the shelter/rescue as to what that means. Could mean biddable and easy to train with good energy, could be "this dog has way too much energy for the average owner".
Makes sense. I believe that 3 (collie looking one) has a video up of him actually going over jumps and says that he has had agility training.
If you want true agility, you're talking a higher energy breed generally. Make sure you really like agility, and are willing to wear the dog out daily. A dog with too much pent up energy is more likely to misbehave.
I"m probably not looking for competition agility, just working with jumps, tunnels, weave poles, etc. I'd also be absolutely happy just teaching tricks to use up some energy as well.
If you say you want golden level of activity or less I'd avoid the Jack Russel terrier. Most (but not all) are bounce-off-the-walls energy and have some really strong prey-drive.
D:
I've seen a lot with anxiety issues as well. The ones that I've met that weren't super high energy were fat couch potatoes but still had to be muzzled for nail trims and blood draws and the like.
Does that reflect mostly on level of training and socialization as a puppy, or the breed in general?
Australian Shepherds for me also fall into the anxiety category. Them, Border Collies, Huskies, and German Shepherds tend to be the most...twitchy? and anxious consistently at my workplace. A well trained one is great though; they're super smart dogs. Depends on how much experience you have. They do need to be worked (mentally and physically).
Border collies, huskies, and GSDs are all not what we're looking for- too smart. Our neighbors had a border collie that they just left outside all day.....he ran up and down the yard so much that there was a muddy track instead of grass in a certain area. I don't think that we'd be able to give any of those really smart, really driven breeds a good life.
Lab mixes are either amazing or absolutely crazy. Again, needs good training! But I do have a partiality to retrievers because most are pretty biddable and willing to learn. They stereotypically tend to be a "love everyone" sort of breed. Most enjoy swimming. Some drool a bit, but it's not bad.
Retrievers are definitely some of my favorites as well.
ACDs are a more serious breed, but if you bond with them and train them well they're good dogs. They are a more serious herding breed, bred to herd cattle. Some are more prone to aggression though.
👍
I have no experience with Brussels Griffons.
I've never even heard of them. I assume that the rescue knows the exact parentage of the dog, because it doesn't seem like something that would be guessed.
I don't see any dogs there that really look like corgis/corgi mixes (which do they say is corgi mix?).
The black, slightly floofy one that you said looks like your dog. He apparently has short legs.
Corgis are very cute, but I'm not a fan of the personality. They were also bred to herd cattle. Their bark is annoying to me and they're loud if you do get a bark-y one. Also a breed that is a "proceed with caution" for me at work.
👍
Some things I'd do if you go see them all again:
We haven't met them yet, just put in applications for them. Nobody's gotten back to us, yet. Those are just pictures from the website.
- Will the dog eventually settle (lie down, etc) or does it never stop going? If you play with it for 5 minutes, then stop playing, does it wind down quickly?

- Does it pay attention to you if you call it? How long does the attention stay on you? Will the dog come to you?

- Touch everything if you are allowed to (be cautious though in case the dog doesn't like it). Pet the back, head, stomach, gently grab the ears, paws, tail. How does the dog react?

- Give the dog a bowl of food. Can you pet the dog while he is eating? Can you take away the food/bowl? Can you take away a toy?

- How is the dog on a leash? Around other dogs? Any severe prey-drive?
How could you check the prey drive?
Just as an add-on, these are breeds I would personally avoid or be aware of certain issues (either because they're not for me or I've had bad experiences in general). Keep in mind, I work at a vet's office - we poke and prod. I'm sure some of these dogs are better at home.:

- Yorkshire terriers. I've just been scratched by too many for nail trims. The ones below 4 pounds that I've met have been worse in personality (aggressive) than the larger ones. Dachshunds are also hit-or-miss, but I do love them (the good ones, anyway).

- Huskies. None of the ones I've met have been sufficiently worked or trained. I'm sure if they were worked more they would be better behaved, but it is difficult to sufficiently work a dog with that stamina.

- German Shepherds. After like 12 weeks old they are generally very, very difficult to handle for procedures. 90% of them need to be muzzled because they'll bite us for even vaccines. They are very protective of their owners and do best away from them when being treated.

- Rottweilers. Go from 0 to 60 too quickly in aggression. Pit-bulls (Americans, Staffordshires, etc) also sometimes fall into this category for me. I have yet to met a nice Chow-Chow. Shar-Peis to a lesser extent, but their hairs are barbed and really irritating so I wouldn't own them for that alone.

- Schnauzers. Too bark-y, will launch themselves off an exam table without a thought, and a lot will bite if given the chance. Looking at a french fry will give them pancreatitis (slight exaggeration, lol).

- Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Vislas, Weimaraners - Too much energy for me.
We have friends with weimaraners- they are SO MUCH. I don't think that I've ever seen them lying down or sitting calmly.
- 50/50's, might own depending on the dog; they're either awful or awesome with little in-between: chihuahuas, shih tzus, dachshunds, beagles, retrievers/mixes, aussies/border collies, terriers in general. Boston terriers are about the only terriers I generally really like, but they can have breathing issues.

St. Bernards, Mastiffs - I dislike excessive drooling.

Would not own due to health issues:
- Bulldogs (English or French) / Pugs - Breathing issues. Also can get infections between their skin folds. Old pugs are prone to hyperkeratosis (cosmetic).
- Oodles/Doodles - Terrible fur matting if not kept up properly. Ear infections (otitis externa usually) galore. Might help if the owners plucked/cleaned the dog's ears regularly.
- A lot of Westies I've met have had skin issues/allergies.

Would own in-spite of health issues:
Boxers - Allergies, mast cell tumors
Golden Retrievers - Cancer, cancer, cancer, sometimes allergies, and prone to hip dysplasia (especially if from parents with bad/poor hips). You want the parents to have good/excellent OFA hip records. The final results should be from after 2 years of age. Also a heart check, and testing for a few specific genetic diseases.
We absolutely love goldens and have a great breeder of them that we've used for our past dog, but the waitlist is insane.
My favorite dogs in general if it's a "good" one/I would own:
Goldens
Labs
Boxers
Dobermans
Standard Poodles
Rough Collies
Good old friendly "mystery mutt" if I like the personality
Dachshunds
Shelties (the less bark-y ones)
Nice chihuahuas...rarer but the nice ones are good dogs.
My friend has a nice chihuahua and she's an absolute angel.
Italian Greyhounds (don't see them much and they're a pain for blood draws because they're wiggly and more prone to bruising and hematomas (because of the wiggling and thin skin) but the ones I've met have been nice.
I love italian greyhounds!! They're just,,,, so nervous looking though.
Glad to answer any specific questions. If anyone has one of these breeds I dislike and thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread...your mileage may vary? :)

And for fun, looking/considering nothing else but pictures:
#1 would be something I'd be cautious with at first at work. (brown dog with longer fur)
Note: Me questioning 'why' isn't me trying to be sassy or undermine you at all, just legitimate curiosity. So, with that being said, why?
#2 looks like the sweet but crazy type (wiry haired one)
Understandable
#3 looks like the shy/cowering/will pee on the floor type. Will either be sweet or fear-aggressive. (collie looking one)
What makes you say that?
#5 Anxious. Very anxious. Has not been worked enough and has a bunch of pent-up energy. (JRT)
#6 Somewhat unsure, may make for a good dog though. (lab/pit mix looking one with black short fur)

Going to post personalities from the descriptions:

1616284183587.png

"He also has a lot of energy and will need an experienced owner committed to giving him enough exercise. Bucky has some herding behaviors and would be best as the only dog in the home. A fenced-in yard would be a plus for Bucky and we recommend a home with teens and up. He is a friendly, social dog and will make someone a great pet!"

1616284231531.png

" I'm totally housebroken, I sit on command, and I love everyone, including kids, dogs and cats. I'm a happy, go-lucky goofball, who wants to play and to be loved. If you will be my new family, I promise to play with the kids or the dog, and to make you all laugh."

1616284369152.png

Augie needs daily mental and physical enrichment and activity, without this he will try to outsmart his owner and get what he wants! Although he has lots of energy, he is always ready to snuggle. He will curl up in your lap or next to you on the couch or bed. He doesn’t have any desire to escape (house or yard), but he will chase wild animals, and the occasional truck or school bus.

Augie is currently in weekly agility lessons, which he absolutely loves. We would hope he can continue his agility or another dog sport (such as rally, disc/frisbee, or flyball). When he is “in the zone” he has the ability to do just about anything. He is learning some fun tricks- at the moment working on “Sit Pretty” and “Spin”, as well as having mastered basic commands: Sit, Down, Paw, Wait, and Leave It. He has a selective recall- he knows what the words come and here mean, but if he isn’t paying attention he won’t always listen right away.

Augie is a bit dog/fear reactive meaning he can act out in situations where he is scared or when meeting new dogs. He has successfully met and played with several dogs, he just must be introduced slowly and properly. He can be afraid of new people but with treats and a calm and quiet introduction he easily makes friends with all people. Augie would love a home with a playful and friendly dog sibling, but he would be just fine as a solo dog!

Augie’s ideal match would be dog savvy and experienced with reactive dogs. He loves to go on runs so an active home is a must. He loves to shop and hike- pet friendly locations only! A fenced yard would be great, but he will be okay with leashed walks and playtime.

Augie is house trained, crate trained, excellent on leash, and ready to find an experienced forever home who will enjoy going on Augie doggie adventures with him!
1616284450099.png

Three words to describe Michael? CUTE, FUN, LOW RIDER! This energetic little guy is sure to bring a smile to your face. At 1 1/2 to 2 years old, Michael's got the short little legs of a Corgi and the retrieving skills of a Lab. He LOVES to play fetch and will retrieve the ball as many times as you would like to throw it. Michael is definitely a smart dog and is working hard on his commands including sit, stay, drop and leave it. The last two are particularly useful during those rounds of fetch!

Michael is housetrained, walks well on a leash, is good with other dogs, and loves being with his people. He enjoys walks and hikes and playing in the backyard. When all that is done he is happy to lie at, or on, his people's feet. He is gentle with food and treats. Michael still has a lot of puppy like energy. He would be very happy settling in with an active family with older kids or just adults who can play with him, continue to work with him on his training and keep him well exercised. In return for that, he will give you tons of fun, love and loyalty. He's really a great dog!
1616284506380.png

"Milo is extremely smart and loving. He's very obedient and well trained. He enjoys going for walks outdoors and cuddling when indoors. He's a small dog, who is calm, has a big heart and a great personality."
1616284635076.png

"He is completely house trained, is wonderful at going up and down stairs, and sleeps through the night without any accidents or interruptions. When on a walk he will keep pace with you while on the leash if you ask him to and is just happy to be outside enjoying the fresh air no matter what! While he is very excited when it comes to meal time and exercise time, he is otherwise super chill; he just likes to lay down and nap on any soft comfy surface, wether it’s his bed, your bed, or a rug on the floor. Teddy doesn’t need constant attention, but when you give it to him, he will give you a smile and a kiss on the face! He is just a wonderful, sweet, good boy, who would make a perfect addition to someone’s home!"

Attachments

• 1616284461889.png
    1616284461889.png
    431.2 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom