Help, I'm new at this.

CaptSaam

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2016
I have a few questions! My kids and I are excited to raise chickens. I have read a couple of books on backyard chickens but I would like to start off on the right foot.I am located in southern Fairfield County in CT.

Does anyone know a good supply house in southwest CT?
I am interested in raising about 6 pullets. What size coop and run should I plan on?
Do different varieties of chickens get along?
Is there a preferred place to get eggs or chicks? I would like to avoid getting roosters because they are not aloud in my town.

- Capt Saam

I have a few questions! My kids and I are excited to raise chickens. I have read a couple of books on backyard chickens but I would like to start off on the right foot.I am located in southern Fairfield County in CT.

Does anyone know a good supply house in southwest CT?
I am interested in raising about 6 pullets. What size coop and run should I plan on?
Do different varieties of chickens get along?
Is there a preferred place to get eggs or chicks? I would like to avoid getting roosters because they are not aloud in my town.

- Capt Saam
Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock. I'm not in CT so I will only be able to help so much. Here's a link to the Connecticut thread though. Hopefully someone there can help with the two other questions. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/55/connecticut
Chickens will get along even if they are different breeds. As for coop size and run size I don't remember the specific ideal dimensions per chicken. I just try to give my birds as much space as I can. You can never give a chicken too much space.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You have come to the right place for all the fun and learning! Birdbrain92 has left you with the link to the Conn. thread. Definitely do some chatting with your neighbors in your area.

You will also want to stop by our learning center for all kinds of good articles on raising the chicks, building the coop and keeping your adult flock happy and healthy...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new chicken journey you are on! If you have any questions along the way, you know where we are!
wink.png

Welcome to our flock!

Rule of thumb is to allow 4-5 sq.feet per bird in the coop - excluding nest boxes and roosts. Allow 10 sq.feet in the outdoor run. A run cover of some sort is advisable. Depending on materials in can provide some protection from rain/snow and keep out climbing or airborne predators. Chickens react badly to being overcrowded.
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom