help im not sure whats wrong with my silkies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by silkielover08, Feb 16, 2016.

1. silkielover08

silkielover08 New Egg

Feb 16, 2016
    I ordered silkies on friday and im not sure whats wrong with them 1 minutes are eating and drinking and walking around energetic in the next they are laying down and not wanting to eat or drink a few hours later they end up dying I got 15 chicks on Friday and now today Tuesday I have 9 left and I'm not sure I've been googling and searching and I haven't found what's wrong with them so please help

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    There are a couple things to check first...
    What is the temp in the brooder?
    Is the food a fine grind like small sand particles or is it larger? If it is larger it may need crushed up to help them get enough in to maintain energy.

I am of course no expert and suggest reposting in this thread as there are many more people there that can help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

and possibly here as well

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I know I am not much help but hope I was able to steer you in the right direction.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What are you feeding them? How old are they? Are they in a good brooder with heat lamp? Do they know where the water is and how to drink it? Please do post in full detail at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry you are running into difficulties. The previous greeters have asked some good questions and posted some helpful links. Let us know if there is anything else you need.

Good luck!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Is this chick sick? Nope. Just resting.
    [​IMG]

Chicks go through periods of activity then stop, drop, and sleep. It's terrifying to the new chick owner who has never seen this before.

However, do make sure your chicks are active, eating and drinking. Monitor the temps and provide a 'thermal gradient'--a fancy phrase that means provide cooler areas in your brooder/pen

[​IMG]

OMG they died! Nope. Just sleeping. Note the firm feces on the paper.
    [​IMG]

Died again! Nope. After a good peep fest they rolled over and went to sleep. Note the wing stretched out on the one chick. She's feeling good!
    [​IMG]

These pictures are just to show you that chicks do take naps often and it's normal.

If your chicks don't have active moments, are peeping very loud for long periods of time, or not eating then you need to get concerned. Silkie chicks are known to have issues with thermo-regulation--another fancy word meaning they are more susceptible changes in temperatures when they are very young.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. It could be bad stock, stress or most likely temperature. The the others have stated. Good luck with the remaining nine. So sorry for your losses. :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by