HELP! I'm the momma of 3 overly spoiled babies!!! EEEPPP!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by love-my-wolves, Apr 11, 2008.

1. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Ok, my babies are now 4 weeks old. My mother came over 2 days ago and we built a "chickie playpen". A rectangular fenced area for supervised play outside. It was too hot that day to let them out, so yesterday I take them outside.
    Well, they just huddled together and cried and cried!!! I tried moving them to the center, throwing some feed, got in with them, nothing. They all just ran to one side and cried some more. After about 15 minutes, I just gave up and took them back in. Guess I'm destined for 3 house-bound babies! [​IMG]

Here they are huddled together:
    [​IMG]

And also, they don't like treats!!!! I have tried, amongst other things, bread, cucumber, french fries, and even plain yogurt!!! They won't touch it. If they pick at it (most times they ignore it) they spit it out, and move on! How/when will they like treats?!?! Ugh, maybe I'm doing this all wrong!! [​IMG]

Here they are ignoring the yogurt!
    [​IMG]

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My girls are three weeks old...they just ate yogurt for the first time the other day...they ignored it until now. They just started eating baked yam and steamed broccoli, boiled rice and flax seeds. Today they had their first worms...I took them out in the garden to weed and found a couple worms for them. [​IMG]

Be patient...they will like them.

3. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Mine were leery of yogurt at first-all they did was walk through it, then through the shavings, and back through the dish. What a mess! However, they had eaten and discovered they LOVED mealworms by then, so I mixed a bunch of mealworms with yogurt. They looked at it for a while without touching it, so I finally picked up mealworms and offered them in my fingers. That was it-no going back. I have also dabbed the yogurt on the sides of the brooder-they can't resist pecking at it then. They eat their yogurt fine now.

4. love-my-wolves

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Thanks! I'll try that for sure! I was gonna go buy mealworms today anyway. They did eat some (not much) watermelon last night! [​IMG]

5. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Let me know how it works.

6. love-my-wolves

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Ok, just an update. Was at wally world shopping and swung by the fishing dept. They have earthworms!!! 24 for 2.97, not a great deal, but hey, until I get to the pet store, this should work. So, here's how it went:

You want us to do WHAT with THAT?!?!?!

[​IMG]

Here's a video of what happened next:

[​IMG]

And my dog, begging for chicken for dinner [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. speedabug

speedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    All chicks have different taste in foods mine want eat worms. They are just picky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by