Help- incubating questions

sunnypj

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2015
Michigan
HI, really new to this so hopefully someone can advise me.
I have an incubator and put 3 eggs (hope fertile) 2 since then have proven not developing. In the meantime my son gave me a dozen fertile eggs from different hens and different times which all went in the bator. I have been candling the eggs and they all appear to be at different stages with one or two around the 18 + day stage.

So my concern is when do I start "lock down" I have no idea on exact days and since all the eggs are at different stages what do I do about turning those eggs. Been doing it by hand.

I have been looking for pips before I open the bator and turn the eggs so that I don't harm any that would be in process.

Does anyone have suggestions or been through this before?

thanks

Welcome to BYC! So glad you could join us!

That is a difficult situation. I had the same problem myself. What I did was the eggs near hatching I left unturned and wrapped in moist paper towels. This way they stayed humid while the rest of the incubator was only around 45%.

Feel free to ask any other questions. And feel free to join our August 2015 hatch-a-long! Its a ton of fun.

Best of luck!
smile.png

thanks for the ideas and info... I was thinking along the same lines. Just not sure on how close to hatching the eggs are, I try not to open the bator or candle them too often but if I don't I won't know how far along the development is. The suspense is killing me! lol

So far I can see movement in all the eggs so looks like they are all still viable. 2 of the eggs are almost completely dark now so that is why I am thinking any day.
thanks again.

I just thought I'd add, if you do wrap them in moist paper towels, make sure they can still breath, so don't wrap the entire egg.

thanks, I thought about that, i have a moist sponge right next to the most advanced eggs. Just wish they would hurry up and at least pip! I don't know how you stand it... all the waiting. lol

I barely can.
tongue.png

My eggs I was sure were dead, and I ended up opening the tops of all four. I can't decide if they would have hatched and been healthy or most would have died in the shells, since they were so dry. I had accidentally over-heated them, so I like to think helping them saved their lives. We lost one, and for the first couple days the other three were so weak they couldn't lift their heads or stand, but with some sav-a-chick and special care, they have made a full recovery.

At hatching, Precious and Adrian

Unable to stand, Adrian, Precious and Enterprise

All three able to stand and eating and drinking on their own, Enterprise and Adrian

It was a miracle!

wow, nicely done and they are so cute! I am still waiting.... not a patient person either. lol
I have one egg that is completely filled with chick and the air sack and I can see movement still so I know it is alive. gotta be any day now but I am terrible and keep running to the bator and looking through the window.

Mine are really going to be a surprise because I don't know what the parents look like.

Back
Top Bottom