Help incubating with Genesis incubator-silkie eggs!

flipflops

Chirping
Jun 19, 2017
So I just got the Genesis. I set it up tonight and it' running and already seems to be at temp and correct humidity. I am getting silkie eggs in Thursday and Friday-shipped. This did not come with the upright Turner I thought and instead came with the side Turner. Since these are shipped and I've heard put them in pointy down vs side, will this be ok?
Also since I am getting eggs on Thursday as well as Friday, how long should they all sit since they are coming 2 different days?
Any tips and advice would be great!

It would probably be best to put them in together. :)
I use a Hovabator Genesis as well. And, although I have found the temp/humidity gauges to be fairly accurate, it is always best to have an alternate thermometer/hygrometer to double check.
There is excellent information for incubating shipped eggs in both of these threads. Also, they are great places to ask any questions you might have.

Best of luck and happy hatching!! :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-sunshine-hosts-bantychooks-and-more.1137467/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hatching-eggs-101.64195/

Also is the readings on the control center accrate or should I get a hydrometer and thermometer to put inside?

I'm so confused on using the Turner. My tractor supply has the little giant upright Turner. Should I buy and use it vs the side Turner that came with the incubator?
Walmart has a hydrometer and temp combo but I think it just requires it to be paid inside the incubator. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Make sure it's a hygrometer (with a G) not a hydrometer.
Yes, it should sit inside the incubator.
With un-shipped eggs, keeping them on their sides is not a problem (think about a mamma bird and her eggs), but shipped eggs have all kinds of problems with their air cells (read through those links I gave you, there's lots of good info in them) and should be kept upright (air cell up) and shouldn't even be turned for the first 2-3 days of incubation.

So I should let the shipped eggs settle then candle to see where air cells are or vice versa? Even if air cells are good do not turn for 3 days? When turning is the side Turner ok or should I get the upright turner?

You may not, initially, be able to spot damaged air cells with candling. Shipped eggs always suffer from the automated postal process.
Give those links I gave you a read. They will answer most of your questions. :)

Back
Top Bottom