Help! Incubator/chick mess!!

OddsBodkins

Songster
Jun 22, 2020
Idaho
Help! Two of my chicks hatched (after I went to bed last night) with intestines hanging out-woke up to a horrible mess! Egg yolk and blood everywhere. Several otthers hatched along with them and my incuubator and chicks are a filthy mess. I still have several others left to hatch. My question is, is it ok to move the driest ones to brooders and take the 2 hurt ones out to put them down? The humidity is up to 86 and I am worried that if I open it to let some out/remove them it will harm the externally pipped eggs. I have never had this happen before and need sage advice! Thanks!

Help! Two of my chicks hatched (after I went to bed last night) with intestines hanging out-woke up to a horrible mess! Egg yolk and blood everywhere. Several otthers hatched along with them and my incuubator and chicks are a filthy mess. I still have several others left to hatch. My question is, is it ok to move the driest ones to brooders and take the 2 hurt ones out to put them down? The humidity is up to 86 and I am worried that if I open it to let some out/remove them it will harm the externally pipped eggs. I have never had this happen before and need sage advice! Thanks!
It is okay to open the incubator and remove chicks and the ones that need culled. Keep the length of time that the incubator is open to a minimum.

It is okay to open the incubator and remove chicks and the ones that need culled. Keep the length of time that the incubator is open to a minimum.
Thank you! I guess I knew that, I just get so worried about losing too many, as I am needing to build more layers into my flock:)

Thank you! I guess I knew that, I just get so worried about losing too many, as I am needing to build more layers into my flock:)
I had to put the two down. Actually had husband do it-I can butcher the adults, but the chicks...Also, can I gently clean the filthy ones with warm H2O and a washcloth and maybe use a low temp hairdryer after they've been in the brooder a bit? I've only done that with week-old chicks after they'd been defecated on by another chick, or had pasty-butt-not a newborn. Never a dull moment with chickens, that's for sure!

I had to put the two down. Actually had husband do it-I can butcher the adults, but the chicks...Also, can I gently clean the filthy ones with warm H2O and a washcloth and maybe use a low temp hairdryer after they've been in the brooder a bit? I've only done that with week-old chicks after they'd been defecated on by another chick, or had pasty-butt-not a newborn. Never a dull moment with chickens, that's for sure!
I would not, but that is me. Others have done it. I would let them get dry first.

You can leave them in the incubater for 3days are you able to take pic's of the ones that you are gonna cull if you haven't done it already

You can leave them in the incubater for 3days are you able to take pic's of the ones that you are gonna cull if you haven't done it already
I was able to take a picture of one. It got much worse after several minutes. The other looked a lot worse, and it was unable to move its right leg. It sort of dragged behind it.Poor little things.

Back
Top Bottom