HELP! Injured Chicken Beak! Not sure what to do!

Pepsquad

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
My daughter went out to feed our "girls" this morning and was distraught to find one of the RIR's beaks were badly hurt. I'm not sure what to do. This is our first venture into chickens and up until this point its been pretty uneventful. I did try separating her from the other hens, but that seemed to upset her quite a bit. I'm assuming she will need wet mash and maybe some medicated water, so I need to separate her but I need to get a bigger and darker place to put her (I only have a small crate and when I separated her from the other girls I put her in a different run). We live in OK so I have access to good feed stores if I need to get her any supplies, but honestly I have no idea what to even do for her or how to treat her. Does she need to be put down? Should I just separate her with wet mash and water and see how she does? She doesn't seem to be in pain and so far the other chickens have been leaving her alone. But it is still slightly bleeding, so I'm assuming it happened recently.

Also, any idea what would've caused it? I know that they didn't come in contact with a predator of any kind, did another chicken possibly peck her? Is it from their food bowl? Any insight would be great so we can avoid this happening again.
DSC_0462-1.jpg

DSC_0463-1.jpg

Also, when I was taking pictures and inspecting the hens I noticed another one had a split beak. Any ideas?
DSC_0457-1.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
The broken beak may repair itself if there is still blood supply to the end. Is it completely THROUGH the beak and just hanging by a thread? If so, better to snip it off at the break. If NOT and there is lots of beak left connecting, I would put a tiny drop of super glue on it and hold in place til it bonds.

Then I would take a hard look around at the chicken yard/coop to try to find what they are injuring themselves on.

How long can she go without drinking? I brought her in house but she seems a little upset to be inside...or maybe more curious. She doesn't seem to be in pain, but she doesn't have any interest in eating or drinking. She is just sitting on the other side of her cage. I'm wondering if the big degree difference could be a big adjustment for her too. Its about 110 outside and about 75 indoors. How long should I go before I give her water via a dropper?

I needed to find out what to do about an injured chicken beak and found this thread. Our White Faced Black Spanish caught her beak in the hole of a metal food feeder. It cut it, but not all the way through. Cover the holes!!!

I needed to find out what to do about an injured chicken beak and found this thread. Our White Faced Black Spanish caught her beak in the hole of a metal food feeder. It cut it, but not all the way through. Cover the holes!!!

What kind of metal feeder were you using?

Our chickens beak is also broken and hers has grown cross ways and now we are going to try to trim it...
1f615.png
wish a luck! If it works I'll let you know incase you have to in the future.

Back
Top Bottom