Help Injured Rooster

NicoleGreen

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2017

This is my smallest rooster. Best guess is he tried to stand off with another one. I am trying to raise my chickens according to organic standards so I tried a bath and hydrogen peroxide but gave up with all the blood that started. Hard to assess his injuried because hecjust kept bleeding. Took flour to aid in coagulation. Looks like one nostril may be injured or blocked. Other one I got clear with warm water and a q-tip. He has stopped shaking his head, which helps, has ate very little, given him water with a small syringe, anything else I can do? Also every so often he makes this low moaning sound. Please help!

If it it just injuries and not life threatening I believe he will be just fine but left with a few scars. If he can breath then don't worry to much about the clogged noes. Keep his wounds clean and a bit moist, also keep him separated for awhile longer or as long until it heels. If he got in a fight and is aggressive you might want to do something about that to so this doesn't happen again. The low groaning noise is him just in pain. It might be painful to eat so maybe give him wet and mashed food, soaked in water which will help hydrate him. Keep giving water with the syringe though and maybe some Gatorade for the electro lights. Good luck!

Raven

Last edited:
Thank you, he will be in the kids bathroom for atleast a couple days, if not longer. This is my first round of chickens and he is the low rooster. I am still learning how to assess life-threating and his behavior is so abnormal. We brought him in 4 hours ago and there have been no droppings, little food, and lots of water. So not certain how long before to seek help. First injury I was unable to stop the bleeding. Thank you again.

Seems like just his comb and waddles, some missing feathers on his head. Cant exactly tell because every time I try to clean his wounds so much blood. But is seems to be isolated to his entire comb and waddles. Maybe the side of his beak, it looks cracked but I cant tell how deep.

Ok, I understand. All I can say is don't mess with him to much except to take care of his wounds or water and feed and let his body handle the rest. If it gets worst take him to the vets.

Back
Top Bottom