Help integrating new chickens

Patricek

Chirping
May 22, 2022
Southern California Desert
Hi there!
I have 4- 18 week old pullets and I'm trying to integrate 3 more pullets that are 13 weeks old.
I kept them in a separate coop and run next to my existing run for 2 weeks. Everything seemed fine. After 2 weeks, in the morning I put the younger chicks in the large run and then let the older girls out. I've been doing this for 5 days now. My problem is this. I can't figure out which is top hen. They all take turns bullying. There hasn't been any blood or any serious fighting but I'm afraid to put them in the main coop for fear they will be hurt. Help!

Hi there!
I have 4- 18 week old pullets and I'm trying to integrate 3 more pullets that are 13 weeks old.
I kept them in a separate coop and run next to my existing run for 2 weeks. Everything seemed fine. After 2 weeks, in the morning I put the younger chicks in the large run and then let the older girls out. I've been doing this for 5 days now. My problem is this. I can't figure out which is top hen. They all take turns bullying. There hasn't been any blood or any serious fighting but I'm afraid to put them in the main coop for fear they will be hurt. Help!
They are probably still figuring out the pecking order. It takes time. Good luck!

They all take turns bullying. There hasn't been any blood or any serious fighting but I'm afraid to put them in the main coop for fear they will be hurt.
Normal for the older birds to 'school' the newbies.
No bloodying is good.

Is the "large run" attached to the main coop?

So they can get into that coop during the day but the big birds can't?

Am I creating bad habits by putting the younger ones in their own coop at night? How long should I continue to do this?
Maybe. Are there lower and separate roosts for the youngsters?

They all have access during the day to the coop and sometimes the younger go in and hide. That is also troublesome during the day bc I live in the desert and it's 100°+ so the coop during the day isn't ideal.
The large coop has two 4 ft long roosting bars the same height. My older girls only ever use one of them.
I have plenty to distract them. Hanging cabbage, several foot baths, roosting bars and there is a tiny coop replica they like to climb in and sit on top of.
They get plenty to eat and I have several food and water stations.
They take turns surrounding them or running them off and at times keeping them trapped in a corner.
I try not to intervene too much, only when feeding, to make sure the little ones eat.
Maybe I'm the chicken....

Am I creating bad habits by putting the younger ones in their own coop at night?
I don't see why. My juveniles hardly ever sleep on the main roosts with the adults unless they were raised by a broody hen and she took them there. My goal when integrating is that no one gets hurt. Nothing more than that, no one gets hurt. Sounds like you are getting there. All that buddy buddy eating, sleeping, and playing together can and will come later when they mature. Until then it's simply that no one gets hurt.

How long should I continue to do this?
I have three ways of integrating chicks. Two of those aren't what you can do. My closest method to yours is to get the chicks and older ones to where they can spend the days together without drama, much as you seem to have done. It sounds like your run may be kind of small with them getting trapped or surrounded but as long as no one is getting hurt you are doing OK. Mine sleep in separate coops at night. After they've proven to me that they can exist in the run together I put the young ones in the main coop after it is too dark for them to see, then I am down there at first light to see how it is going. I have a fairly large coop (8' x 12') for the number of chickens, it is usually very peaceful. The young ones are typically on the roosts while the older ones are on the coop floor. The young are avoiding the older ones.

I don't know how big your coop is or how far apart those roosts are. Your young ones may sleep up there. I don't care where mine sleep in the main coop as long as it is not in the nests and is predator safe.

I don't have a set age for any of this. It's after they prove to me that they can peacefully exist in the run that I try to move them to the main coop. I try to go by what they tell me they are ready for instead of going by my own calendar.

I don't see why. My juveniles hardly ever sleep on the main roosts with the adults unless they were raised by a broody hen and she took them there. My goal when integrating is that no one gets hurt. Nothing more than that, no one gets hurt. Sounds like you are getting there. All that buddy buddy eating, sleeping, and playing together can and will come later when they mature. Until then it's simply that no one gets hurt.

I have three ways of integrating chicks. Two of those aren't what you can do. My closest method to yours is to get the chicks and older ones to where they can spend the days together without drama, much as you seem to have done. It sounds like your run may be kind of small with them getting trapped or surrounded but as long as no one is getting hurt you are doing OK. Mine sleep in separate coops at night. After they've proven to me that they can exist in the run together I put the young ones in the main coop after it is too dark for them to see, then I am down there at first light to see how it is going. I have a fairly large coop (8' x 12') for the number of chickens, it is usually very peaceful. The young ones are typically on the roosts while the older ones are on the coop floor. The young are avoiding the older ones.

I don't know how big your coop is or how far apart those roosts are. Your young ones may sleep up there. I don't care where mine sleep in the main coop as long as it is not in the nests and is predator safe.

I don't have a set age for any of this. It's after they prove to me that they can peacefully exist in the run that I try to move them to the main coop. I try to go by what they tell me they are ready for instead of going by my own calendar.
Thank you so much. Your answer really put me at ease. I'll continue with what I'm doing and wait until they're ready.
Thank you so much!

Thank you so much. Your answer really put me at ease. I'll continue with what I'm doing and wait until they're ready.
Thank you so much!
Having similar issues. Added 15 new pullets to existing flock of 15. The new girls won't sleep in the coop. I don't have a door on the coop as the run is predator safe. The new 15 huddle on the floor or up in a tree.

Back
Top Bottom