Help interpret home necropsy? Warning graphic images

Waterfaery

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 23, 2014
Ireland
One of my Australorps suddenly dropped dead on Friday with no warning. We decided to have a look inside for learning purposes and to try to figure out what was wrong with her, especially if it points to anything that may affect the rest of the flock. She was just a couple of weeks past 1 year old so it was a bit of a shock. It was a very sudden death. She had laid an egg that day and was walking around foraging and dustbathing as normal not long before it happened.

She was an extremely heavy hen, close to 5.5kg. She was much bigger than the rest of the Australorp hens from the beginning of her life and was a similar weight to my roosters.

She did have some egg laying issues but I never thought it was anything serious. They have free access to oyster shell and layers pellets and they forage all day within an electric fence. We had some soft shelled eggs when they first started laying but ever since they all settled to normal laying, she was the only one who still occasionally laid soft shelled ones. It wasn't very often but when it happened, it would be multiples at a time, all from her. Her eggs also often had quite large calcium deposits and sometimes blood spots. Other than that, she seemed outwardly healthy and was the dominant hen in her flock.

Please excuse the poor quality job as it was a total first time. My husband did the cutting and I took the photos as best I could. We read the necropsy info in this article here and watched the video but, to be honest, I'm still confused about which organs we were actually looking at. It all looked so different to what we had seen on the video. If anyone can help with this, I'd really appreciate it. Also, in case it affects things, it was about 4 days after she died before we did this because we had to get some supplies. We kept her refrigerated in the meantime.

I've numbered the photos in case it helps if anyone has anything they can comment on any of them.

IMG_20230711_110302.jpg

IMG_20230711_110630.jpg

3. There was a large pool of dark liquid when we first opened her. It was on the right as we look at her, or her left.
IMG_20230711_110755.jpg

4. Can anyone help tell me which organ that huge dark red thing is? I thought maybe liver but it's on the other side of the body to the one in the video.
IMG_20230711_111122.jpg

5. And which organ is this with the lump and the yellowing on it?
IMG_20230711_111227.jpg

6. And this one with an even bigger lump?
IMG_20230711_111330.jpg

IMG_20230711_111334.jpg

IMG_20230711_111641.jpg

IMG_20230711_111847.jpg

IMG_20230711_112340.jpg

IMG_20230711_112519.jpg

IMG_20230711_112910.jpg

IMG_20230711_113007.jpg

14. Is this the heart?
IMG_20230711_113208.jpg

15. As I said, we are novices at this but I can't help thinking that those dark lumps that are everywhere are not good, is that right? They seemed to be on multiple organs and also some just floating loose. They were not hard like stones but they were quite firm lumps.
IMG_20230711_113225.jpg

16. Here are the contents of the gizzard.
IMG_20230711_113442.jpg

IMG_20230711_113701.jpg

I'm afraid that's as far as we got. We didn't remove any organs other than the gizzard. I would be so grateful if any of you experienced with necropsies could help me learn from this.

One of my Australorps suddenly dropped dead on Friday with no warning. We decided to have a look inside for learning purposes and to try to figure out what was wrong with her, especially if it points to anything that may affect the rest of the flock. She was just a couple of weeks past 1 year old so it was a bit of a shock. It was a very sudden death. She had laid an egg that day and was walking around foraging and dustbathing as normal not long before it happened.

She was an extremely heavy hen, close to 5.5kg. She was much bigger than the rest of the Australorp hens from the beginning of her life and was a similar weight to my roosters.

She did have some egg laying issues but I never thought it was anything serious. They have free access to oyster shell and layers pellets and they forage all day within an electric fence. We had some soft shelled eggs when they first started laying but ever since they all settled to normal laying, she was the only one who still occasionally laid soft shelled ones. It wasn't very often but when it happened, it would be multiples at a time, all from her. Her eggs also often had quite large calcium deposits and sometimes blood spots. Other than that, she seemed outwardly healthy and was the dominant hen in her flock.

Please excuse the poor quality job as it was a total first time. My husband did the cutting and I took the photos as best I could. We read the necropsy info in this article here and watched the video but, to be honest, I'm still confused about which organs we were actually looking at. It all looked so different to what we had seen on the video. If anyone can help with this, I'd really appreciate it. Also, in case it affects things, it was about 4 days after she died before we did this because we had to get some supplies. We kept her refrigerated in the meantime.

I've numbered the photos in case it helps if anyone has anything they can comment on any of them.

View attachment 3574379

View attachment 3574380

3. There was a large pool of dark liquid when we first opened her. It was on the right as we look at her, or her left.
View attachment 3574381

4. Can anyone help tell me which organ that huge dark red thing is? I thought maybe liver but it's on the other side of the body to the one in the video.
View attachment 3574383

5. And which organ is this with the lump and the yellowing on it?
View attachment 3574384

6. And this one with an even bigger lump?
View attachment 3574385

View attachment 3574386

View attachment 3574390

View attachment 3574394

View attachment 3574395

View attachment 3574396

View attachment 3574397

View attachment 3574399

14. Is this the heart?
View attachment 3574401

15. As I said, we are novices at this but I can't help thinking that those dark lumps that are everywhere are not good, is that right? They seemed to be on multiple organs and also some just floating loose. They were not hard like stones but they were quite firm lumps.
View attachment 3574403

16. Here are the contents of the gizzard.
View attachment 3574404

View attachment 3574405

I'm afraid that's as far as we got. We didn't remove any organs other than the gizzard. I would be so grateful if any of you experienced with necropsies could help me learn from this.
I'm so sorry about your chook... my LO passed shortly after her 1st birthday as well- it was a shock. I don't know much about neceopsy, but I do agree that those black lumps look suspicious. I hope you figure out what happened!

@azygous

This is my two cents, hopefully some others will share also:
1. Your bird has a lot of fat, that's the soft, creamy yellow that is distributed through the abdomen and under the skin. That much fat causes health problems. It could be genetic, some birds are genetically prone to storing fat, but it also could be diet related, so you need to look at what you are feeding. Too many extras, especially high carb things (scratch, corn especially) can contribute or cause this to happen. Keep all treats to less than 10% of the diet.
2. There are two lobes to the liver, one smaller than the other, in your 4th picture it shows both. The one on the bottom is pale, and very abnormal. So most likely fatty liver disease. The liver becomes pale, and friable (firmer, or hardened, and brittle). I suspect that the dark spots you found are probably blood clots. With fatty liver (it's full name is fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome- https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultr...e/fatty-liver-hemorrhagic-syndrome-in-poultry) they can, and often do, hemorrhage and bleed out. The pool of fluid may have been ascites from the damaged liver leaking fluid into her abdomen before that happened.
Those are the most remarkable things I see. Being fat can cause all sorts of issues, laying and egg quality can be effected, not being able to handle heat, cancers, heart attacks, etc.
I do see what appears to be quite a bit of grains and corn in the crop contents, so that leads me to believe that diet probably played a role. It is very easy to overdo extras, as they are so much smaller than we are, and they love that stuff. I call scratch grains chicken crack or candy corn, they love it, but it's not really good for them.
You did a good job for a first necropsy! I'm very sorry for your loss, but it's good that you were willing to take a look to figure out why.

Sorry for your loss. I agree that it looks to me like fatty liver hemorrhagic disease. The dark red looks like a large blood clot. It causes internal bleeding from the liver, and the liver will appear pale, tan, or putty colored, along with an excessive amount of fat. I did a necropsy on my only hen who died of it, and she had a large clot of blood under her liver. Coach has already said that is can be diet related, perhaps from too much corn or scratch grains. Here is some reading, and you can also research FLHD yourself for more pictures and info:
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2020/04/06/fatty-liver-hemorrhagic-syndrome-in-a-chicken/

I'm sorry about your hen.

I agree with the other's assessment.
I wonder if she has something hormonal or developmental going on as well since you report that she was every large and heavy and had been since hatch.

Thank you so much everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it.

And thank you @coach723 and @Eggcessive for that information and for the links. I had heard of fatty liver hemorrhagic disease but never looked into it to closely so I'll be researching that today.

It is concerning because I didn't think diet could be the problem. We only feed them layers pellets (or growers pellets in the flocks that have roosters) and they don't get treats other than their own eggs cooked and whatever they forage for themselves. I think what you see in the gizzard contents must be grass seed.

I think @Wyorp Rock might be on to something about her having something else going on causing her to gain too much weight. She was the only one who was overweight and she was far heavier than all the others. She grew faster and was noticeably bigger within a week or so of hatching. Maybe she had some sort of metabolic disorder? I do hope we're not doing anything wrong with the diet because we are so careful with it.

I'm so glad we did the necropsy because fatty liver hemorrhagic disease is not something I would have thought of. It's been very interesting to learn and a bit scary and upsetting the first time but I think we feel more prepared to do necropsies on any others that die without obvious cause in future.

We are actually processing some meat birds next week. We only did it for the first time last year and never looked closely at the insides. This time we're going to examine a couple to try and learn what the organs look like in a healthy bird.

Thanks so much again for the help.

It is concerning because I didn't think diet could be the problem. We only feed them layers pellets (or growers pellets in the flocks that have roosters) and they don't get treats other than their own eggs cooked and whatever they forage for themselves. I think what you see in the gizzard contents must be grass seed.
Diet sounds fine to me.

Back
Top Bottom