Help! Introducing my duck and chickens

The Cobb Farm

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2017
Northern California
My Coop
My Coop
I am trying to covert my duck and chickens into one coop area. For a few months we have had just a fence between them so they can get used to each other. The other day I put all the chickens in the fenced in yard with the duck and it went well. They all seemed to get along and hang out.. until I realized I forgot one chicken in the yard. Then once I picked her up and set her in the yard with the other ones, my duck instantly started attacking her. So then I quickly removed all the chickens from the yard.

Now im not sure how to re-introduce them?

Right now there is still a fence between them.

Any ideas?

Hi i sometimes have issues when a chicken or duck gets out of our enclosure and putting them back especially if they are making a fuss. I would try again but this time not forget one. When i introduced my ducks and chickens i did what you did and kept them seperate with a fence for abit. Took the fence down no issues. The ducks do run the place though. Good luck

It's just one duck that you have?

If so, s/he could use a friend. My ducks and chickens mingle, but they much rather hang with their own kind.
When you introduce again, I'd put the duck in with the chickens and stay there for a while. When you leave, duck leaves. Then repeat the next day, but after you leave, leave the duck there for a bit longer. Repeat until you have the duck hanging with the chickens without issues.

Hi there! I recently adopted a duck from a neighbor who's family had it living alone and not thriving, desperately needing company and better living conditions. I penned the duck up in my garden so the 7 chickens and duck could mingle through the fence, and the duck was always running along the fence when the chickens were nearby. After about a month let them out together on a day I would be around all day to supervise. They had a few quarrels that were harmless (maybe to establish pecking order?), but quickly (same day) they got along beautifully! Now the duck even climbs the steps we added up into the coop and nests at night with the hens. We just figured out today he's a drake, although we were told originally he was a she. We just LOVE the duck and she/he's been a wonderful addition to the flock! Good luck integrating them, hope it goes as smoothly as mine did!

A friend stopped by today, they raise ducks. I asked them because I suspected my duck was actually a drake since I have never gotten an egg and have had him since Spring. She said if they have curly tail feathers they are male. Mine has cute little tightly curled up feathers on his tail. She took one look, and also noted his behavior was very much a drake's.

I looked it up on here earlier today and many people say that you can also tell by the drake's voice, however, I wouldn't have been so sure I could tell the difference on that since I've not been around many ducks. I hope this helps! If the tail feathers have little upward curling feathers it's likely a drake!

Best of luck to you with your duck! I was reluctant at first, but now he's become the star of the flock! (and very protective of his ladies too!)

Back
Top Bottom