HELP! Introducing pullets to flock!

Snoopy11

Songster
Apr 21, 2022
Indiana
Hello everyone!

Some time back, my female turkey gathered half a dozen fertile chicken eggs and decided to plop herself down on them. Since we have had some losses this past year, I decided that I wanted chicks. That was the greatest decision I have ever made. What an awesome experience.

I moved her into the shop, where the chicks hatched, and now I am in the 7th week. All of the pullets look like hens, so I'm golden there.

The problem that I have is that Mrs. Turkey is very aggressive to our rooster and some of the hens. I have brought the roo into the shop, and Mrs. Turkey instantly gets into fighting mode. She also lunges at some of the hens.

Since my chickens are free range, I am trying to find the best way to introduce the new pullets to the chicken flock. (Our rooster made a certain sound as I held him in the shop, and all of the pullets came running up to greet him).

I am thinking about possibly putting the pullets out into a 10 foot circle fenced area and allowing the adult chickens to walk around the fenced area to get acquainted with the new pullets. I am considering doing this without the presence of Mrs. Turkey... potentially keeping her in the shop during the introductions.

I would absolutely appreciate hearing any thoughts that you all have, I am extremely anxious about this... I've never done this before and Mrs. Turkey's attitude is very unpleasant...

I had considered beginning introductions possibly at the end of the 8 weeks... perhaps I should wait longer...? Again, any thoughts or advice is welcome.

Thank you all !

Don

Putting your pullets separat from your other birds is a great idea. Don't put your bitties with their mama. If your birds are free range than you could probably just let your bitties free range with the rest after about a week. Any more questions?

Putting your pullets separat from your other birds is a great idea. Don't put your bitties with their mama. If your birds are free range than you could probably just let your bitties free range with the rest after about a week. Any more questions?
Yes, that is what I was thinking. They are rather independent of mama turkey anyway!

I am quite sure that when I go to remove the pullets, Mrs. Turkey is going to be very displeased. But, I think her attitude will cause extra friction with integration of the pullets into the flock.

The pullets are VERY attracted to the adult hens and our roo. I think the pullets will do just fine, and our roo will accept them very quickly.

I do have a few VERY assertive hens. Should I intervene if they show signs of pecking/ bullying the pullets?

Don

I think Mama turkey's attitude will lessen after a day or two away from her babies. You can put the pullets and your roo together after a few days. Just keep an eye out for any harrasment toward the pullets. Don't be afraid of some pecking and bullying toward your pullets. Just make sure that they are not chasing after them 24/7.

Do any of your pullets have pinker combs than the others?
No, they all look the same... (thankfully). None of their combs are vibrant pink, they are all yellowish pink. I will get some pictures of them if I can to add to this thread.

Since I already have 1 roo... I knew that I would have to give away or cull any male.

Don

Put them somewhere else, chicken mamas leave their chicks at week 5. Your pullets are fully feathered and independent. Put them in a dog crate or somewhere. Put some sticks to perch on in the crate. Then put the crate where your chickens sleep.

Back
Top Bottom