Help! Iridescent green feathers on my black silkie - does this mean she's a rooster?!

I don't know if you want to go this route, but if they start crowing louder/more frequently, you could try no-crow collars. Let's hope everything stays fine!
We actually got a no crow collar for the alpha roo just in case he gets louder! We have only put it on super loose right now, just so he can get used to it, but he doesn't even notice it after a few minutes.

Wow, both of them!! They may not change character at all, never can tell with roosters.

My Roo that one of my broody mummas hatched out, stayed really sweet natured with me, never got aggressive with me. However he tore shreds out of my hens, and they were a fair bit older than him. The poor things were almost bald by the time we decided he needed to go! It was a really tough decision to make, but I felt that the girls had earned a peaceful retirement!!
Actually that's more what I'm worried about, is him beating up on the hens. We only have 3 silkie hens for the 2 roos. I could potentially put one of the roos in with my sexlink and Orpington girls, but not sure if they would beat up on him since he's so tiny compared to them! Hard to figure out all the logistics :)

I know that this is an old post but I was looking for answers too. If it helps anyone, I also have 2 black Silkies, both with iridescent feathers coming in on the tail & one of them with a few coming in at the base of the wing. I had so much hope till I saw that & yep, turns out they are roos. It is definitely a good early indicator when trying to sex Silkies. I believe the green only happens on some of the blacks.

Back
Top Bottom