HELP! Is it inhumane to keep this chicken alive? Predator Attack (Warning: Graphic Photos)

I wouldn't use antibiotics if you are not sure if she got any nasty disease from the racoon. I would wait untill she actually shows signs she got something from the racoon. Birds do rarely get any diseases from mammals. Not as common as we get them, as fellow mamals. Watch her temperature for any fever.
I would rather feed her some more vitamins through food, spoil that hen!

I had a chicken setting on eggs in a pasture and got horrible fly strike from sitting on rotten eggs in the rain for a week. Basically sloughed all the skin, feathers and soft tissue around her perineum and one side of her abdomen to under her wing. It looked like burger and smelled like death. But we trimmed off the dead stuff, cleaned with Nolvasan dilute wash, and sprayed with Aluspray (it's the BEST topical spray for wounds, antiseptic, drying and fly repellent). In 4 months she grew back new skin and new feathers and continued to lay eggs for years. Chickens have AMAZING healing powers. I would not give up yet. She is lying quietly because she knows she needs to stay quiet to heal. If she is eating and drinking keep going. That's my 2 cents. I also had a friend with a racoon attack that almost dislocated one wing on her pullet and took most of the back skin with it. That bird also made a complete recovery with nursing care. Good luck!! I hope she makes it.

I would say give her few more days. And if she doesn’t seem to be recovering then take her a a place ( if there’s one near you) that could give you some answers. But it is a good sign she laid an egg though! Keep updating us on her condition and behaviors and best of luck to Lucy and god bless y’all!:hugs:):love

Chickens really can recover from some remarkable injuries.
I agree with others that only you can make the decision on her fate.
In my opinion she looks pretty good for going a few rounds with a racoon.

I'd suggest cleaning her up really well. Trim back feathers if needed to keep them out of the wound. And consider treatment with sugar or honey. It does wonders for new skin growth.
There is an eye ointment you can get if you think she needs it.
Keep her calm and quiet and spoil her. Higher protein treats will help her heal and keep her eating if she feels crummy.

Good Luck and Keep us posted!

This is one time you need to skip the " only organic" and get her to a vet.
You don't have to continue vetranarian antibiotics, but the eye injury could get very serious!
Of course she's lethargic, she's had head trauma and her eye sight is decreased. Love her, love her, and she can grow stronger. It may be a long road, but Chooks do heal pretty fast.

It looks to me like that birds skull has been opened up. I would cull the poor thing. Chickens can live through some bad things but the point sometimes escapes me. With the skull opened up like that, it could have all kinds of issues. I would cull it. I would get me some raccoon though.

Hello everyone, Lucy is improving! Slowly but surely. She's much more active and my neighbor had some Blue antibiotics that she sprayed on her for me. Her good eye is back to normal. She has more of an appetite, but still not a full appetite.

I do have two new concerns though: The back of her body feels particularly stiff. Right where would be her two back hips. She is pooping maybe once or twice a day, but that feels pretty consistent with the amount of food I've been able to get in her. She has not laid an egg. I gave her a warm soak and she loved it, but still nothing. It may just be because she has lost weight.

Also and this is my biggest concern is her bad eye on the side she was attacked. It is getting very swollen, and now is full of a globbed up puss. I gently picked the scab away from the crease and that's when I noticed her entire eye socket is filled with this. See photos. I should point out too that I had put some neosporin and chicken eye gel on that area of her face a few times to try and loosen up some of the scabbing around her which worked, but now I'm worried this is an adverse effect. Should I pull all of that out or leave it there to help her heal?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20180622_152111.jpg
    20180622_152111.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20180622_152047.jpg
    20180622_152047.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20180622_152036.jpg
    20180622_152036.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20180622_152020.jpg